GS versus Stencyl thread at Gs forums !! (and went on many tangents)

Manuel

Ginger Ale for me.
Game developers are the deities of the virtual realm.
Game Development Blog
Personal Tumblr
Personal Twitter

Sunflower

Blackcurrant juice all the way!

(by the way, I wonder how would someone from GS boards react when seeing such topic; it's so much different from similar thread on GS forums! >.<)

Hectate

This thread was mentioned in that thread. So very meta... Hah

:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

bsidegames

I make my own soda with sodastream

and as a GS and Stencyl user you guys here are much more mellow.

"As far as programmers looking down on people who use visual aids..."

I'm a programmer during my 'day job' and I wish I could snap code together in the same way you can with blocks in Stencyl. Would cut down on development time a great deal. I think this form of building logic has more applications than games.

Using Stencyl I've discovered it's not coding or programming I enjoy, it's the creativity / logic behind it.

"I've never met a client or gamer who cares how the game was made...only what the games like to play."

I've read a lot of threads about the best way to make games and you're right. It's the end result that counts. Concept, artwork, ideas - FUN - that's the important part.

Tom

mukowAPPS

Sunkist is my drink of choice.

Peeps here generally seem more mature/older.

It seems to be mostly professional topics and responses.

Me like.

tabletop

"More complex than a SNES game"? I'd love to see someone make a Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger-quality JRPG in Stencyl.

That's not sarcasm, BTW...think of it as a challenge. :3

If I had an RPG kit in stencyl...

trollface.png

Sunflower

Actually, I might make such kit one day. Just give me time... >:D

tabletop

The Stencyl team should make one themselves to guarantee it gets done. And charge a $50 a year license for it or something. Theres been too many tentative attempts at it that had not been finished/or up to quality with what the team could accomplish.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 08:08:46 am by tabletop »

Photics

The Stencyl team should make one themselves to guarantee it gets done. And charge a $50 a year license for it or something. Theres been too many tentative attempts at it that had not been finished/or up to quality with what the team could accomplish.

Interesting... maybe I should make an RPG template part of the textbook that I'm working on. I built an RPG before... http://photics.com/bot

I'm working hard to impress the community here.  :D
Michael Garofalohttp://photics.com – Author of The Interactive Stencyl Textbook 8)

Miasmos Games

You could modify the example game? At some point I guess it might get done, but for now resources are stretched too thin to try and get towards a prompt 2.0 release to have spare time to do something trivial like this, especially as it doesn't seem to be requested that much. In general if it's a more complicated type of game (like an RPG) then you'll need to do a lot of it yourself anyway, no matter whether there's an official kit or not.

Cupcake Bounce

tabletop

You could modify the example game? At some point I guess it might get done, but for now resources are stretched too thin to try and get towards a prompt 2.0 release to have spare time to do something trivial like this, especially as it doesn't seem to be requested that much. In general if it's a more complicated type of game (like an RPG) then you'll need to do a lot of it yourself anyway, no matter whether there's an official kit or not.

ehh I'd disagree. As of now there is really no examples/guides/kits/anything for combat AI, party control, menu and equipment swapping for RPG or Action based game related content. A standard, solid combat system would leave a lot to work off of for developers. I know its a hefty task, which is why those who take this are more than welcome to seek monetary gains. We have a platformer kit right now, and sure you have to design your entire game and such, but the base engine for platforming is here readily to use, and the common user could create one. We may have kits for top down attacking for example, but the amount of AI/menus/inventory and set up for a game is little to 0 for anything to be really created off of without a load of programming.

Back in 2007/2008, one of the main attractions of this program was the readily available kits/templates.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:34:35 am by tabletop »

Miasmos Games

I see what you mean. It would definitely be useful but to have fully featured systems for everything from inventory and menus to enemy AI could be quite a lot of work. I'm sure at some point it will get done though, in the mean time, maybe you could make it for yourself and become the hero of RPG-junkies ;D?

Cupcake Bounce

Jon

One of the challenges in making a kit is that aside from some genres, it's hard to make a generic enough kit that's marginally usable and covers enough bases to be useful. Even with the Jump & Run kit, as useful as it is, some prefer to roll their own from scratch because it doesn't fit their needs.

One of the more recent attempts that (Greg?) tried to do was making an Adventure/Zelda kit. You get into decisions like how to treat weapons (part of the actor, separate actor), how to create a generic inventory, and it gets messy very quickly.

This isn't to say that you won't see more kits down the road, but our efforts our spent on snatching relatively low hanging fruit - things, that help everybody, and when we start running out of those things to do, we can look again at kits. Perhaps, with the larger audience that the focus on tools has brought us these past 2-3 months and the stronger toolset, someone out there will beat us to the punch, which I'll be very happy to see.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:26:52 pm by Jon »

Vigilence

Interesting... maybe I should make an RPG template part of the textbook that I'm working on. I built an RPG before... http://photics.com/bot

I'm working hard to impress the community here.  :D

I am really looking forward to your book. I wish I could travel to the future and buy it cause I need it now.

I think stencyl will become more popular once this team has worked on the engines documentation.  One the team adds stencylpedia 2.0, removes the bad tutorials/added some serious and meaty tutorials, and remade/added a more indepth crash course kit (maybe a series?), then I think a lot of people would find stencyl much more appealing and easy to adjust to. 

In fact many gamesalad users wont even switch to stencyl because of the poor documentation even if they admit its a more powerful engine.