Looking for Behavior? Programmer

manchildbenny

I have the basics of a Platformer game set up but i'm really not that strong of a coder I only need help in a couple of areas.

-A Main Menu with actors/buttons that can be pushed (iOS) to lead to a Level Menu, in turn those level buttons/actors lead to they're designated scene. Each level is locked until the previous level is beaten.

-On that note, the winning conditions for each level will be just to kill one enemy. If you make it through the level and kill the enemy then the next level will unlock and be able to be selected from the Level Menu.

|
| Extra
|
V

-It would be really cool to add a timer to each level and if you completed the level really fast then a ranking system would pop up at the end of the level (maybe pause the level/timer when the enemy was killed show that the user got 2 out of 3 stars)

Here is a really good example of what im talking about:
http://armorgames.com/play/6762/league-of-evil

If there is anyone out there that can do this please get ahold of me asap. I have all the graphics done really, and a good chunk of the coding but i'm kind of stuck developing wise until i figure this stuff out.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi

malukorj

I'm trying to do the same thing, a select screen with levels locked and unlocked and a 1 to 3 stars bonus in each level.

For example:

If the player finish the level in 5 sec it's a 3 stars, 6 sec = 2 stars, 7 sec = 1 star and beyond that no stars.
I think we have to work with 3 attributes: time, score and a highscore list for each stage.

Someone knows how to do that ? I didn't find nothing like that on this Forum.

phoenix916

Hey I was wondering could you guys make a tutorial about platform games ?
I'd appreciate that a lot :D
Btw add me on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/AlexMakMak

Satyre

Hey guys, why are your not using global booleans for the levels. For example: Create a boolean for each level and set the unlocked level to false. When you finish a level then set this global boolean to true.

You can bind that boolean to a specific behaviour to control the graphics and the "go to scene" which will be coded after the (if boolean = True) then unlock this level.

When the condition is made, then you can make the global boolean true and the next level will be unlocked (graphics and function)

It could look like this:

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:35:59 am by Satyre »

Xietao

Hey guys, why are your not using global booleans for the levels. For example: Create a boolean for each level and set the unlocked level to false. When you finish a level then set this global boolean to true.

You can bind that boolean to a specific behaviour to control the graphics and the "go to scene" which will be coded after the (if boolean = True) then unlock this level.

When the condition is made, then you can make the global boolean true and the next level will be unlocked (graphics and function)

It could look like this:

With this you need a lot of game attributes.
Free Time:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 13h
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday: 7h
Loving Linux...

Satyre

@Xietao: True, it is one method. Another one is to create a list and change the graphics when the specific words were added after a condition. I think it is ok, even when not optimally, it should work fine. :)

Xietao

Another one is when level is completed increment value of a number game attribute.
Free Time:
Loving Linux...

Xietao

Another, why not use otherwise blocks?
Free Time:
Loving Linux...

Satyre

I used a global attribute, because this attribute can then be used for other behaviours without filling one behaviour with too much code. The attribute can be used for example to see if a level was unlocked and activate the stars or the star-graphics, which was another request in the first post.

I use increment value mostly for leveling up a character when creating a rpg like game or a score or time.

There could be a wide variety of methods for using :)

Maybe we should open another thread to collect all methods later. I think this would be helpful for everyone.

Xietao

I used a global attribute, because this attribute can then be used for other behaviours without filling one behaviour with too much code. The attribute can be used for example to see if a level was unlocked and activate the stars or the star-graphics, which was another request in the first post.

I use increment value mostly for leveling up a character when creating a rpg like game or a score or time.

There could be a wide variety of methods for using :)

Maybe we should open another thread to collect all methods later. I think this would be helpful for everyone.
And for the Saving ;)
Free Time:
Loving Linux...

Innes

Recording locked levels in a game can be done with a single game attribute; simply record the information in a 'binary' string and recover the character at the required position to see if the level is locked. e.g...

this records the status of 10 levels.

You can do this with the find and replace blocks.
Visit www.TheStencylBook.com - the only published book for learning Stencyl.