Jumping top down?

superfried

Hello

I have searched extensively, but I have not been able to find anyone trying to do something similar. I am creating a puzzle/action game for ios where the main character progresses vertically up the screen. Initially I was planning to make the game in 3D isometric, but found the 3D graphic packages very frustrating and therefore decided to stick to my 2D roots, which enabled me to also use Stencyl! So now the game is in top-down view, I no longer have the benefit of physics with regards to making the character jump hazards etc.

Consequently, my only idea so far has been to set-up a jump animation which makes the character progress a set distance. Whilst that animation is playing, either state that all collisions are void or remove the collision detection during that animation. Then when the animation is complete, if the character is now standing over a tile he lives, if not he dies.

However, before I investigate this option I was wondering if I am missing a trick, there is a much simpler option or that my idea will simply not work for some reason. 

I have included a screen grab to help clarify.

Thanks in advance.

Superfried

Hey this is really similar to what we're working on, we have top down gap jumps and obstacles. I'm only the art guy so i can't get too technical.

Generally the idea for the gaps is that we create an invisible actor that fills the void and if the actor isnt in the jump state when it detects the collision it will trigger a fall/game over state, if it is in the jump state it will continue its motion. If the jump state ends within the 'dead zone' it will also trigger the fall state and game over.

So detect jump/if in jump state continue motion/if not in jump state trigger fall.

We also have small boxes so far to be jumped which would be a similar setup linked to the box actor.

superfried

Hi Dead Moose

Thanks for your reply. I am also the graphics guy and code guy, hence why progress is slow!
Your game sounds interesting, what stage is it at?

Your info. is really useful and suggests I was heading in a similar direction to yourself. I will try and build the jump action and then I have the tricky and unusual control system to look into, but that is another story!

Thanks for your help and I will let you know how I get on.

Superfried

Its pretty early on, have some of the menus in place and a bit of the first level which doesnt really have much content in it (for progression purposes).
Getting close to putting up a WIP build so people can have a look, still have a few issue with the 'dead zone' triggering to iron out first though. UI is minimal so shouldn't take much to get that in place. Particle effects seems to be the next step. Pretty much be adding as we go once the core is ready.

superfried

Hi Dead Moose

Sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing the demo. Just working on a test version of the jump anim at present and we seem to have stopped collision when jumping by simply removing the collision detection shape on the player. Now it i just a matter of working out timings to ensure the jump can clear the hazards etc and making it run more efficiently.

Keep us posted.

Superfried