Best approach for an ebook

Learner

Hi Stencyl users. I have another question about iStencyl. I will design an educational  interactive ebook and I am considering iStencyl for it. Checking the tutorials it seems the best approach for designing something for IPhone and IPad at the same time is using Atlas. The suggestions I have found is to put specific content for each device in separate Atlas. In my case, my ebook will have 15 pages which means 15 Atlas per device. Basically each page is a colorful background. Because there are only 16 Atlas how I can handle 30?

Thanks in advance

Learner

Jon

Some of the example games were made before we raised the limit to 32. If you make a new, you'll find this to be the case.

superfried

Sorry to jump in, but this is similar to something I asked the other day which did not receive a reply. So am I right in thinking there is no way of creating an ibook/ebook where you create one set of graphics for iPad and it will generate the secondary sets for iPhone 4 and 3, in a similar fashion to the way Stencyl generates secondary graphics when developing iPhone games for retina?

Superfried

Learner

Thanks Jon. I was using an example as you mentioned. Now I can see 30.

superfirend, it seems we have to do the job manually. There is a Resize Method option in the Atlas manager but I do not think it is for what you mentioned.  What I am using to understand Atlas are these 2 sources: http://www.stencyl.com/help/viewArticle/86 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZVe0s4xF0A

My concern about this approach is if the final file will be too big to download. In my case I will have 30 backgrounds.  But I am just starting with Mobil apps so I have to study more.

Thanks

superfried

Hi Learner

Hmm, that does indeed seem a potential issue, especially as I was intending to do some parallax action which will push the atlas capacities even further.

I am also new to Stencyl and at the moment I am creating an iOS game, but since the story line of the game like a children's tale, I thought it would be cool to create a kid's ebook as well.

I am struggling with the game as it is, so the book may have to go on hold, but I was trying to do as much research as poss. in advance. I will let you know when I am back on the book if I have any useful insight.

Thanks for posting the links.

Superfried

Learner

superfried, I think what other engines are using is Content Scaling (like Corona : http://blog.anscamobile.com/2010/11/content-scaling-made-easy/)

Jon, is there an option for Content Scaling in iStencyl? Resize Method is for that?

Thanks

Jon

Our engine can technically do that, but as the article states, one of the disadvantages of a quick scale is that memory usage can become a problem, if you're drawing with these huge graphics but rendering them at a smaller size.

What I've added instead in 2.0 already and might be what you're after is this: instead of building an iPad app, we use the "retina" graphics and display those on the iPad, blowing the app up by 2x for the iPad and displaying it at 1x on the iPhone/iPod. This sounds like the dynamic asset swap they're talking about and what we're doing there behind the hood.

Leaufai

That would give black bars on the bottom and top, would it not, since 640x960 is a different aspect ratio than 768x1024?

Since Android devices all have different resolutions and aspect ratios, how are you planning to handle it there? If you have a solution for that, could the same thing not be ported to iStencyl?

Learner

I have another question: If memory is an important issue specially for mobile apps, it wont be easier to have different files for each phone?

Thanks