RPG Menu creation

Derek

Since I'm currently working on custom menus for my game (see picture below). Right now I wanna get it so that it does all of the above:

* Start off with a cursor highlighting over the bag (aka arms icon) and limiting the cursor scrolling to left and right to switch to other options, along with playing an animation over the icons whenever the cursor is over any of them and having the text in the uppermost tab to say what item type is selected. One final touch is to make it so that the number of slots that appear changes depending on what type (I'll have to create a test character for this one).
* Once item type is chosen, scroll through each individual item and return to item type command row with a press of a button, but if another button was pressed...
* Have the cursor go the inventory by limiting the scrolling to up and down and have it stop scrolling when it reaches the 99th item (I can insert the destroy/create direction arrow animations just fine).
Don't be a critic on the internet while eating and drinking at your computer.

Greg

Out of curiosity, I wasn't sure if you're asking a question here - or if you're asking someone to build you this functionality. 

Derek

I was just asking a question on making the menu.

Alexin

Please, clarify. Like Greg I can't see any questions there.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Derek

How do I get it so that all the things I just mentioned in the first post become functional?

Alexin

Well, what you're asking is pretty general and there's no direct answer (besides "make a behavior"). I suggest you break the problem into smaller parts and take care of those first. Then you'll eventually need more specific help. That's when we come in.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Derek

Okay, then step one, get item type icon (in this case, arms, which is the bag) to switch to an animation when a red blinking cursor is hovering over it.

HNF

Long story short; use lists. Then have an attribute index which is a number. Index will be equal to the number of the currently selected item.

Derek

Do I do the same for the main inventory slots? I want to make it so that only one of any item can occupy a slot and have any additional items occupy separate slots.

HNF

So if item 5 is a sword, it occupies one slot. Then item 6, a shield, occupies the next, and so on for ten items. That's how it would work.

Derek

Okay, got it. So what tabs do I need to use to make it so that if the cursor I mentioned hovers over a menu command actor/icon who's numerical index value is 0, that icon would switch to a different animation?

HNF

What I've done is either
Use the index as an animation and switch to "index" as animation, or
Create another list which would be,
Code: [Select]
set animation to [[get [index] from [animation list]] as animation]

Derek

Can I just upload the WIP build on Forge so you might have a clearer picture of what I'm trying to do?

Derek

It's up on Forge again, HNF. I just want you to check to see if I'm doing the basic list attributes the right way or not.

HNF

Yes, you're doing the lists properly.