Actor/Character Transformation Skills in Games, how to make? [RESOLVED]

VirusChris

I was wondering how possible it is to create one or more skill(s) or option(s), as a command option or button combinations when certain conditions are met, to have the character transform into a different character or different appearance that changes their overall abilities for a limit amount of time or stay there throughout the entire event.

If I wanted to create a transform version of the character I have to make another Actor that's his/her transform state and setup the Snippets to have "Transform" change Actor 01 to Actor 02, but if it were an RPG game where the transform state is the same level and stats as the regular character how do I link them together? Do I setup as [If Actor 01's level equals "#"] Actor 02's level equals "Actor 01's level" and the same with experience so if the Actor wins the fight in their transform state and levels up their regular state also gets the same benefits?

Kinda like Sora's forms from Kingdom Hearts 2 where he power-ups and gains new abilities to use and fights differently for each form for a limited time.

Here's what I'm kinda looking for two different occasions for the transform ability.

1. Like in RPGs or Action RPG the player selects a skill in the Battle Menu (Skill, Forms, etc.) during the fight and selects the skill or one of the options for the forms the character that gives them access to moves or skills or abilities not present in their base/regular state but only for a limited time until they revert back to normal. Also they're capable of leveling up like their base state, as to be treated as the same character even if their appearance is different unless otherwise.

Maybe have a special gauge for the transform skills only or simply use MP or whatever you have for energy to use for special moves.

2. Like in a Fighting game or something like that before you go into battle you select your character in the Character Selection screen and when you pick a character you have the option to use their base state or transform state at the start of the battle (each state offering something different not presented in the other) and fight throughout the entire fight in that form until the battle or match is over.

Will I be able to do this and how about do I go on making this work?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:23:11 am by VirusChris »
INVOKE... VIRUS SOUL!!! ~ Chris Yuushi
"VirusChris" manga project - Unleash the power of the Nazo Virus

Greg

I haven't read your entire post in detail - but you could have separate animations for the same Actor, so you could keep everything contained in that one Actor. 

You could then enable or disable certain behaviors on the Actor depending on what state they're in.

VirusChris

Never thought about it like that. Interesting... that includes animations specifically for the transform state that the regular state doesn't have as well?

Looks like I'll have to experiment a bit.

Also this applies for characters having multiple costumes as well, like the the Tales Of series for example?

Luyren

What I did regarding character transformation: I created a behavior that creates the transformed actor type and kills the original actor once some criteria are met (key input, required MP etc). Both original and transformed actors used the Save Status behavior (it's on Forge). This means that all attributes saved in the original character are loaded in the transformed character. I think I had to use the save/load commands from the Save Status behavior for saving/loading the attributes.
My Stencyl resources are available here: https://luyren.itch.io/
Cutscenes, RPG Elements, Particles, Map System and many more.
Twitter

VirusChris

What I did regarding character transformation: I created a behavior that creates the transformed actor type and kills the original actor once some criteria are met (key input, required MP etc). Both original and transformed actors used the Save Status behavior (it's on Forge). This means that all attributes saved in the original character are loaded in the transformed character. I think I had to use the save/load commands from the Save Status behavior for saving/loading the attributes.

Ok, let me summarize what you said since I never really got a chance to use Stencyl yet (schoolwork and my job needs my attention first) and I'm unfamiliar with it still.

Basically you have a behavior, function, or method that is the Transform Actor and replaces the current or regular Actor when the conditions are met like key input, skill command, etc.

Then you have this Save Status behavior that copies the regular Actor's stats/attributes (HP, MP, STR, EXP, etc.) and puts it, or loads it, into the Transform Actor's Status so whatever the Transform Actor gets transfer back to the regular Actor which always works both ways.

That's basically it right?

I can use this for Turn-Based or Action RPG when you select Skill -> Transform (use 10 MP) or key input to change the Actor into their transform state.

And for Fighting or Stragedy games you can select their transform state, as a sub-option (Example: Select Hero as your character and additional options open up with Base and Transform state), but adds and/or subtracts certain attributes to performed different effects. Like in RPG you have power-up skills that up Power but lower Defense but instead of lasting a few turns it last for the remained of the battle.

Luyren

Ok, let me summarize what you said since I never really got a chance to use Stencyl yet (schoolwork and my job needs my attention first) and I'm unfamiliar with it still.

Basically you have a behavior, function, or method that is the Transform Actor and replaces the current or regular Actor when the conditions are met like key input, skill command, etc.

Then you have this Save Status behavior that copies the regular Actor's stats/attributes (HP, MP, STR, EXP, etc.) and puts it, or loads it, into the Transform Actor's Status so whatever the Transform Actor gets transfer back to the regular Actor which always works both ways.

That's basically it right?

Yes. On the particular game I made this, I only "transfered" the attribute that controlled the character level. So the normal actor and the transformed actor had different status values (strength, defense etc) for the same level.
My Stencyl resources are available here: https://luyren.itch.io/
Cutscenes, RPG Elements, Particles, Map System and many more.
Twitter

VirusChris

Is this so? That's pretty cool! ^_^
I'll have to download and check it out!

I can always add in another attribute that controls the character's experience so both original and transform state share the same experience and whatever the other state got can be "loaded" to the other and if that state, for example the transform state, levels up to LV10 and reverts back to the other state they also have LV10 on their stats.

So I guess this is resolved for now? Oh wait, do I place different animations for the transform state in the same actor or a different actor if I'm going by this Save Status behavior you have?

Thank you every much for answering my question guys! ^_^

Epic428

The original state will need its own animations, while the transformed state will need its own animations as they are two different actors. At least according to this
What I did regarding character transformation: I created a behavior that creates the transformed actor type and kills the original actor once some criteria are met (key input, required MP etc). Both original and transformed actors used the Save Status behavior (it's on Forge).
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs