Intense speed game creating challenge

NobodyX

I got an idea last night:
Make a game roughly the same breadth, depth, length, width, and level of detail as Mega Man 2, but within an absurdly short time frame.

So! I will attempt to make a game as big as MegaMan 2 within 4 days. Time spent eating, sleeping, etc. all count. The clock will start ticking as soon as I post this, then will end 96 hours later.

No graphics, music, sounds, or behaviours, will be premade. They will all be created from start to finish within the 4 days.

Why no premade behaviours? Because I never use other people's behaviours for my other games, so that's what I'm used to. It's infinitely easier to fix if something goes wrong, because I don't have to wade through unfamiliar stuff. Plus within the context of this challenge it might sound more impressive.

I will have to speed-sprite, speed-compose, speed-level-design, and so on.

I predict that the result of this will be on of the following:
A) It will be better than Mega Man 2 and I will be crowned the most effecient game creator ever.
B) It will be the worst piece of garbage ever made.
or, possibly the most likely
C) I will get lazy, then decide that the whole idea was stupid, then quit.

Well, anyway, wish me luck! I'm doing this mostly for fun, so I'll be trying my best to not stress over it. Although, if I fail miserably, you can all throw virtual tomatoes at me if you want.

irock

Hahahaha. I'm sure this is going to end up being the best game ever.

Good luck.

Strasteo

Good luck man! Sounds like it'll be interesting what comes out of this at least. :P

Jesse

If you're into this kind of stuff rapid game development stuff, you should really check out the Ludum Dare competitions. ;)

NobodyX

I already know of Ludum Dare, but I'm not too interested in competitions. I'd rather just invent my own rules.:)

NobodyX

As of last night, which was supposed to be the end of it, I had made a crap-load of stuff, if I say so myself.

I had made 5 levels, 6 power-ups, 9 (sometimes too-repetitive) pieces of music, about 20 different unique enemies and other fancy level-occupying things, and 1 boss. 58 actors, 49 scenes, 92 behaviours.
I think that's not too shabby for a game made in 4 days from scratch.

Before I upload it, I am going to take some extra time to make more bosses and a last level to make it "complete" and more fun to play to the end.

almyki

Wow NobodyX, no wonder I haven't seen much of you the last couple days X_x .  That sounds intense.  Can't wait to see what you came up with!

<3 ali
dA |

Skills:  Drawn art, writing/story concepts, drawn backgrounds.
Preferred Games:  Visual Novels, RPGs, Simulations, Sandboxes, Dress-Ups
Current Projects:  Pokepet Eevee!

Jesse

That's really impressive! I'm excited to play it. :)

triptych

One word of advice - get a friend to play it for a few mins - it'll really help work out any last minute bugs.

NobodyX

FINISHED! (for now)

It's thread:
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,1090.msg8605.html#new

And the game:

On stencyl.com:
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/2849

Fullscreen is better. So:

Here is an .exe version. It is an exe instead of swf so that I don't have to worry about anyone stealing it and uploading it to a Flash portal. Start the game, then right click and choose the fullscreen option.
http://www.box.net/shared/3mktmgmjhv

Made from scratch in less that 6 days (but mostly 4).

OpenHeartSound

Holy crap dude.  Nice work.
Need audio for your next project?  Go to http://OpenHeartSound.com

dineyin

I haven't even gotten close to beating this game, but it's really slick. And the fact that you did the whole thing in so little time is amazing

Silux

grats for the challange!
Btw enemies are too fast!
Currently working at:
Starwarrior 2097(my main project)
How to make successful games in Kongregate and the world(article)

NobodyX

Thanks people.

From the comments section:
Quote from: Silux
Haaard!wonderfull beginning!
(more hide from enemies,crouching,checkpoints and health packs;and a little more life)
I'm leaving out crouching for the sake of simplicity. There are checkpoints (halfway through each level & right before each boss). I'm leaving out health packs for the majority of the game on purpose, a) random health drops would not be fun and b) I think going a long time without dying is fun and health pickups would make doing so less "extreme."

And to everyone who says the game is too hard: I like it how it is, it's supposed to be hard.

Silux

I do love hard games where you can proof your skills and lots of challanges, but he should be able to react.

Example:If you add fast enemies that can hit you in 2 femtoseconds and then hide,
Add a 'Warning thunderfast fishes zone' in the scene, so the gamer can prepare itself for the fishes(for example firing shurikens before seeing fishes)

If you feel warning unrealistic, you can add them as a thought of the character!
*he looks around(This new water area is quite chilling;I must be very careful here!Maybe there are huge krakens or thunderspeed radioactive fishes!!!)

In this way it sounds also ironic when you eventually meet those fishes:D
Currently working at:
Starwarrior 2097(my main project)
How to make successful games in Kongregate and the world(article)