Struggling with physics a bit :(

sparkyidr

Anyone know how I can get the physics engine to behave more like this game :
http://www.addictinggames.com/puzzle-games/redremover.jsp

Like how it feels very solid, and the blocks feel pretty sturdy when they are falling etc?

I have been messing around with the physics in my game, and it seems no matter what combinations of heaviness and friction etc.....it's always just so so so wobbly   :(
(I have bounciness set to 0 on everything btw)

Even just stacking up around 5 or 6 blocks (snapped to the tile grid) is difficult without them falling under their own weight, or wobbling around and eventually toppling over....and if I drop anything on them from any kind of height at run-time, it's pure carnage.

Anyone got any tips for making really nice, solid blocks?

x70x

You mentioned that you have adjusted their heaviness and friction... have you played with the strength of gravity?

sparkyidr

Yeah, lowering the gravity does make things slightly less wibbly wobbly, but still not as sturdy as they are in the example I pasted....but then obviously, I have to make things heavier again, so the whole thing doesn't feel quite so floaty, and that counter-acts any stability I have gained by lowering the gravity

:(

sparkyidr

Here are a couple of vids showing my ropey physics in action

1. Gravity set to 50. The yellow blocks not affected by gravity, the blue ones are. : Mass-10, angular mass-0.2, friction-0.13. and dampening turned to about 1/2 for both sliders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01sSMV2yCGg&list=UUgHiuNfqi9O0GMqLawOvRqw

2. Gravity set to 85. Blue blocks same as above, "plank" set to be affected by gravity : mass-10, andgular mass-1, friction-0.3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz-VOH7A_yc&feature=plcp&context=C4e99576VDvjVQa1PpcFMbdgs21e3UZS8XzvU4K2eqQgtShndBPRQ%3D

In both cases, no actors have any "bounciness"and are snapped to the tile-grid

x70x

Hmm, that's definitely more "wobbly" than some similar box physics games I have worked with in Stencyl. Are you sure that your box's origin points are located at the dead center of their mass (you can change this in the Appearance tab for your actors)?

rob1221

Why do you have such a low angular mass compared to regular mass?  Of course the actors are going to be wobbly if it's so easy to rotate them.

sparkyidr

Why do you have such a low angular mass compared to regular mass?  Of course the actors are going to be wobbly if it's so easy to rotate them.

Rob..........you are of course correct.
Had somehow confused myself as to what angular mass actually did.

Have upped the angular mass on the "building blocks" and it's much more stable.
Not perfect, but deffo a massive leap in the right direction  :)

Thanks guys, for the help. much appreciated.

playbackapps

what a legend you are rob.. i had the same problem to! thanks so much :)