16 pixel challenge!

IWantSumCrusha

Alright, i was thinking about the different graphic resolutions and wandered how much people can compress into only a few pixels. SO! using only a 16x16 pixel image, i want to see what people can come up with, here is what i've come up with (enlarged of course!):

little island thing with a palm tree;

Planet earth!;

Some guy getting mugged;

but i'm just a novice, i want to see what the pro's can do!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:28:16 am by IWantSumCrusha »

irock

Someone on the TIGsource forums made a 25x25 pixel composition thread, so this reminds me of that.

This is a guy firing a gun at night.

KungFuFurby

Nope, I'm not one of the professionals. But this did get me curious...

I actually thought 4x4, not 16x16... 16x16 means you're doing it in 256 pixels, not 16. I actually made a small bronze coin at half that resolution (8x8 = 64 pixels) for my game as a pickup with four frames of animation as a generic rotation animation...

I actually made an entire game using only nine pixels. It was greatly enlarged, and the resolution rule is broken to add in text if needed, but only the text (at least with a couple of exceptions...). The game at its core is 3x3, or 9 pixels.
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

Strasteo

Have a vase. I might do a sword icon later for fun.

Blob

I actually made some 16x16 icons a while ago for fun and practice.

I guess I'm not challenging myself because these were pre-made. Oh well.

IWantSumCrusha

Nope, I'm not one of the professionals. But this did get me curious...

I actually thought 4x4, not 16x16... 16x16 means you're doing it in 256 pixels, not 16. I actually made a small bronze coin at half that resolution (8x8 = 64 pixels) for my game as a pickup with four frames of animation as a generic rotation animation...

I actually made an entire game using only nine pixels. It was greatly enlarged, and the resolution rule is broken to add in text if needed, but only the text (at least with a couple of exceptions...). The game at its core is 3x3, or 9 pixels.

i did take that into account but the 8x8 can be very limiting, so 16x16 seemed better. also 16 pixel challenge seemed so sound cooler than 256 pixel challenge

EDIT: added another one!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:28:36 am by IWantSumCrusha »

KungFuFurby

Alright, challenge accepted. I made a little furby cursor for the menus for my game... this could also be theoretically used for a NES or SNES game.
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.

irock

The last two couldn't be used in an NES game because they use 4 colors.

NobodyX

The last two couldn't be used in an NES game because they use 4 colors.
Megaman's sprite is 5 colours. Technically it's two sprites but the point is it's not impossible.

irock

It's not possible to have one sprite with more than three colors. The only reason Mega Man can pull off having five is because it's not one sprite. The point is, kungfufurby's sprite couldn't "technically" be used on an NES as he claimed!

KungFuFurby

Thankfully my claim is pretty vague to begin with... but Irock's right. The small red color mouth that I produced has to be made into a separate sprite and overlayed to produce a more than three-color sprite (with two-layered sprites, you can get six colors to choose from). Thus, a small bit of trickery is required.

Kazekai

Did this in ASE, it was fun.

Edit: Bigger version.

It doesn't look like what it's supposed to. -_-;

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:53:53 pm by Kazekai »

sgtcrispy

Lo-Fi Silent Hill 1