Fez

irock

That was a joke! Of course he does!!!

I wouldn't respect Fish if he put on a fake persona to satisfy people like you. He keeps it real and people should do that more often. Be yourself, because it makes the world more interesting.

thechaosengine

I don't want to waste words on that dude, but I do want to say that I will be buying Fez. Games like this- with the whole having no enemies thing- are rare, especially for a console release, and should be supported.

Kazekai

That was a joke! Of course he does!!!

I wouldn't respect Fish if he put on a fake persona to satisfy people like you. He keeps it real and people should do that more often. Be yourself, because it makes the world more interesting.

You act like I don't have a legitimate reason for having problems with him, which I do, and I've already listed them.

It is entirely possible to be honest without showing an ego. Notch does it all the time. And quite frankly, if his "true personality" involves his offensive and obnoxious gloating, he should work on that personality flaw.

Edit: But if the game ever comes to PC, I might try it, at least for the other people that apparently worked on it.

irock

Being an ass to people who are being an ass to you and saying modern Japanese games suck aren't personality flaws.

Blob

I think Fez looks like a cool game that I would definitely get if I had an Xbox. I think Phil Fish is a cool guy who tells it like he sees it and doesn't try to sugar-coat himself because he's an independent.

Since said person seems to have a manic personality, I don't know if they're going to be helpful or blow up in my face
He has an abrasive attitude, not tourettes.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:00:09 pm by Blob »

SWATLLAMA

Assume I did play it and had a technical-related issue with it, one that can't be solved by looking through an FAQ, so my next idea is to email the person who made it. Since said person seems to have a manic personality, I don't know if they're going to be helpful or blow up in my face. My assessment of his PR skills (and not just from that one incident) leads me to believe he's not that easy to talk to about anything regarding his game. If he's that defensive over a comment, I have no idea how he'll react to a legitimate bug or other issue someone might have.

This is a hypothetical scenario, by the way.

I hate those asses that fake everything in public, and then when they go home they go "MARGARET, BEER, SANDWICH, REMOTE, LET'S MATE AFTER ALL OF THAT IF I HAZ THE ENERGY". In fact, since Philly exposed his extroverted personality, I'd buy his game! Though I don't have an xbox.

But what is wrong with his reaction? he reacted fine with the jerk. When people are idiots to me at school, I throw them down and get my calculator of castration out and... they stand up much milder.

As for the ubisoft guy, what's wrong with asking for a Windows copy? I don't know what game it was, but if it was for the xBox and written in C#, wouldn't take a long time to port. He should have responded differently.
I agree with not liking Japanese games as well. Though I like Japanese food.

Now can't we get back on-topic?
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

Kazekai

Being an ass to people who are being an ass to you and saying modern Japanese games suck aren't personality flaws.

Why do you continue to misread what I'm saying? His opinion doesn't bother me, I just felt really bad for the guy he went off on. At least he apologized to him.

Assume I did play it and had a technical-related issue with it, one that can't be solved by looking through an FAQ, so my next idea is to email the person who made it. Since said person seems to have a manic personality, I don't know if they're going to be helpful or blow up in my face. My assessment of his PR skills (and not just from that one incident) leads me to believe he's not that easy to talk to about anything regarding his game. If he's that defensive over a comment, I have no idea how he'll react to a legitimate bug or other issue someone might have.

This is a hypothetical scenario, by the way.

I hate those asses that fake everything in public, and then when they go home they go "MARGARET, BEER, SANDWICH, REMOTE, LET'S MATE AFTER ALL OF THAT IF I HAZ THE ENERGY". In fact, since Philly exposed his extroverted personality, I'd buy his game! Though I don't have an xbox.

But what is wrong with his reaction? he reacted fine with the jerk. When people are idiots to me at school, I throw them down and get my calculator of castration out and... they stand up much milder.

As for the ubisoft guy, what's wrong with asking for a Windows copy? I don't know what game it was, but if it was for the xBox and written in C#, wouldn't take a long time to port. He should have responded differently.
I agree with not liking Japanese games as well. Though I like Japanese food.

Now can't we get back on-topic?

Talking about the developer of the game is on-topic.

He could have just pointed out that his team's entry won the IFG without the "suck my dick, choke on it" comment. My grandmother used to lecture me with a proverb: It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

irock

Why do you continue to misread what I'm saying? His opinion doesn't bother me, I just felt really bad for the guy he went off on. At least he apologized to him.
He didn't go off on him. He said that modern Japanese games suck.

He could have just pointed out that his team's entry won the IFG without the "suck my dick, choke on it" comment. My grandmother used to lecture me with a proverb: It's not what you say, it's how you say it.
As I said before, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being an ass to someone who was an ass to you. If you're intentionally being a total jerk to someone, you're not entitled to their kindness and you shouldn't expect it.

airman4

Why modern japanese suck ? because resident evil and ff13 sucked ?
Why generalize on mainstream japansese games ?

It's like saying us game suck because mass effect 3 sucked , duke nukem forever sucked , Dragon age 2 sucked , skyrim sucked  etc etc

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:03:08 pm by airman4 »

irock

"Well, you know, not ALL of them. Just... a lot of them."

SWATLLAMA

I've never played a good Japanese game... except Mario! :D but I mean the new anime crap. Anime is lecharous females running around screaming.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

Blob

Strasteo

I don't want to add more fuel to the fire or anything, but reading this just made me feel really bad for that Japanese game designer:

"Apparently he paid his own way to come to GDC for the first time so he could hear some great talks and learn new things. He studied English hardcore beforehand, and even switched his language at home to English just to practice for the conference. Then, on his first day at GDC, he works up his courage to ask Fish a question, and gets berated like that.

Anyway, the guy seems like he's really nice. The response really got to him, though. He posted at 3:00am the night of the incident saying he couldn't sleep."

As for me, I'm glad Fish apologized. I'm still going to buy Fez myself because it is fantastic. Do I think he could have been more polite in his response? Absolutely. Am I going to boycott his game solely because of that? No. I'm going to support his game because it echoes my own dream of releasing a game on a major platform. I know that if I was in his position, about to recognize his dream, I'd want people to buy the game I was working so hard on and enjoy the experience I meticulously crafted.

And I do hope this game designer won't let these words get him down, especially when he was humble enough to accept Fish's apology. I do hope he'll overcome and surpass these obstacles in his path, and maybe even bring about change in the Japanese game industry for the better. A tall order, perhaps, but I'll continue to cheer him on.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:39:47 pm by Strasteo »

irock

It's not like he attacked the guy or insulted his country. What he said wasn't personal and the guy who asked what Fish thought of modern Japanese games shouldn't have been offended, if he even was. If anything, it seems Fish's comments motivated him.

"I had a great experience. I thought that I would like to create games more than before."

"And, Please, Please stop to say bad mention to Mr. Phil Fish. I think we game creator are challenger who pursue the best game."

"I think I would like to continue to challenge as a Japanese game programer. I think it is one of the answer to criticism of Japanese game."

"I am taking Phil Fish's message as a strongly worded message of encouragement to Japanese game developers."

Kazekai

I've never played a good Japanese game... except Mario! :D but I mean the new anime crap. Anime is lecharous females running around screaming.

You are watching the wrong anime then. There's a lot of diversity in anime, but most of the good stuff never gets ported over here, just like there are good Japanese games that never get ported here, or are only ported here because of companies like Atlus.

Cubivore is an example, so is Katamari, so were the Dark Cloud games on the PS2. I could recommend a lot of good anime (If subs don't bother you) but this really is off-topic. :V

I don't want to add more fuel to the fire or anything, but reading this just made me feel really bad for that Japanese game designer:

"Apparently he paid his own way to come to GDC for the first time so he could hear some great talks and learn new things. He studied English hardcore beforehand, and even switched his language at home to English just to practice for the conference. Then, on his first day at GDC, he works up his courage to ask Fish a question, and gets berated like that.

Anyway, the guy seems like he's really nice. The response really got to him, though. He posted at 3:00am the night of the incident saying he couldn't sleep."

As for me, I'm glad Fish apologized. I'm still going to buy Fez myself because it is fantastic. Do I think he could have been more polite in his response? Absolutely. Am I going to boycott his game solely because of that? No. I'm going to support his game because it echoes my own dream of releasing a game on a major platform. I know that if I was in his position, about to recognize his dream, I'd want people to buy the game I was working so hard on and enjoy the experience I meticulously crafted.

And I do hope this game designer won't let these words get him down, especially when he was humble enough to accept Fish's apology. I do hope he'll overcome and surpass these obstacles in his path, and maybe even bring about change in the Japanese game industry for the better. A tall order, perhaps, but I'll continue to cheer him on.

Seems like a decent summary of my thoughts at this point.