Fez

irock

If you haven't heard of Fez, you probably don't pay attention to the indie games scene. It's a nonlinear exploration game where you control this 2D dude in a 3D world who can flip the perspective in 90 degree increments.

After like five years of development, it's finally coming out on Friday, April 13th.

So, who here's going to get it? I don't have a hard drive in my 360 so I'm gonna buy a USB flash drive so I can store the game. It's really unique because of the total lack of danger and how heavily it relies on atmosphere and pure exploration.  I'm actually pretty excited to finally experience it first hand.

sparkyidr

Ahh cool

I didn't actually realise it was coming out on the 360
I thought it was a PC and PS3 exclusive  :)

yay

Manuel

FEZ was only confirmed for the 360, there isn't anything definitive about a PC/PS3 port yet.
Game developers are the deities of the virtual realm.
Game Development Blog
Personal Tumblr
Personal Twitter

sparkyidr

lol.. goodness knows what I was thinking then  ;)
I was convinced it was. ahhh well. good news

Friday the 13th? :O

Leaufai

Would get it if I had a 360, but alas. I imagine they'll eventually do a PC port. There's a lot of money in the PC indie scene.

Manuel

That's true, most popular XBLA games usually release a PC port in the future. (it also happens with PSN and WiiWare, but at a lesser extend)
Game Development Blog
Personal Tumblr
Personal Twitter

alex pang

Badly pixelated paper mario ripoff. :)

Manuel

Visually the game looks good to me (not astonishing, but not awful either), but that's just my opinion.
Also Phil Fish said in a interview that he hated Super Paper Mario, so while they have some things in common I don't expect it to play like it very much. :P
Game Development Blog
Personal Tumblr
Personal Twitter

irock

Super Paper Mario did the perspective changing mechanic horribly. Every time you flip into 3D it's just a barren corridor. The two mechanics aren't even the same because all the gameplay in Fez is 2D. :)

Manuel

Yeah, I played half though Super Paper Mario and stopped playing because of how unfun it was.
Other games FEZ is compared with is echochrome and Crush (the former is a splendid game and it nailed its main mechanic. I never played the later), but judging from the three games' videos they don't seem to play the same.
Graphic-wise it's very compared to Cave Story. I have no idea why, because to me they look like two different games.
Game Development Blog
Personal Tumblr
Personal Twitter

Strasteo

I liked Super Paper Mario. >_>

It isn't as great as the previous ones, no, but I had fun with it while it lasted.

In any case, Fez looks great. I really hope they consider porting it to other systems since I don't have an Xbox360 and I do want to play it. Steam, PSN... the possibilities. As for the visual style, it's not the 'best' pixelling, but I think it's colorful and fun, and the game mechanics/world looks really exciting and interesting to be in.

Kazekai

This comes out in 2 days, but wasn't Phil Fish acting like a massive jerk when his game won the IGF? It looks nice but I'm not sure if I want to support someone with his attitude problems.

Assuming it ever got a PC port, that is. I wouldn't touch an Xbox with a 10-foot poll.

irock

I know it's cool to hate Phil Fish and all, but I think it's stupid to refuse to buy Fez over a couple not even offensive things he said.