Spriter Kickstarter

Ryusui

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/539087245/spriter

This is a pretty awesome program, even in its preview form. It's not without its issues, but I've played with it a bit, and it's pretty impressive. It's basically a 2D symbol-based animation tool: I've tried using Flash to similar effect, but this is a dedicated (and cheaper!) solution.

You can use it in your Stencyl projects now, if you want: you can export keyframes to a series of PNG files and import them. You can also preview the tweening function that'll be in the final version (press CTRL+ALT+T to toggle; be sure to turn it off before editing/exporting!), but you can't make any real use of it yet.

I'm already down for my copy; too bad it'll probably be September before its release.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Rhys

The creator posted something on http://scratch.mit.edu/forums about this, they're interested to get it integrated with Scratch. I wonder how well it would work with stencyl?

Jon

This one's been doing the rounds. We reached out a few days back to look into implementing the full array of what it has to offer.

Ryusui

According to the latest Kickstarter update, there's a Flixel version up and running now. As long as it doesn't use anything 2.5-specific, it looks like Spriter support in Stencyl is well within the realm of possibility. :3
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Dizko

Wow, that looks pretty cool. I'll have to check out the beta!

Jon

Wow, I'll have to check that Flixel one out. I'm familiar with the guy who did it too, small world.

Rolpege

Hello!

I'm interested on extending my implementation to Stencyl as well! I have some questions before doing it though.

1.- I can make it using AS3 right? Even for Stencyl 2.0?

2.- How does one add XML files to Stencyl, and how does one access images / XML from AS3 code in Stencyl?

3.- Does AS3 work for iStencyl?

4.- How can I include extra classes which aren't related to a Sprite? (data classes)

Then, if this isn't available, I could talk with the creators to do it some way integrated with the engine itself or something.

Also, for the implementation, how would it work? I'm not really familiar with Stencyl but would it be like a custom behaviour or what?

In Flixel I'm using a custom class that extends FlxObject. In FlashPunk, it's a class that extends Graphic so Entities can hold it. In Plain AS3 and Starling, it's an extension of Sprite. What should it be in Stencyl?

That's pretty much it. Once this is solved, I can start implementing it! =)

Jon

Hey Abel, long time no see - I remember you signed up for the beta a long while back.

I think the best shot at getting this in would be to use your implementation for Flixel directly (e-mail jon @ thisdomain if you want to hand it over in private) - if you get me that, I could experimentally work it in directly into the engine. Any other way probably wouldn't work as well as that.

Our iOS stuff uses Sparrow (Objective-C) and isn't tied at all to AS3.

Rolpege

Hey! Yeah, I signed up with the beta a long time ago haha!

Ok so, the problem with this is, as Spriter itself is currently in Beta, it's changing a lot really frequently so it would be a little hard to make Stencyl keep up with the changes.

Maybe we can do it once Spriter reaches 1.0 and it's more stable =)

LDeathnote

Looks unreal, guess I'm getting the beta. Right now!

lucid

Hi again, @joe and @jon, we released the beta version of the file format(will change before 1.0) to all developers, and @Rolpege has documented his work.   

As the file format is only a working format, implementations will need to be changed/added to before 1.0. Please understand this if you decide to implement, however I will also say that most developers have reported times of between 3 hours and 2 days to complete implementation of the beta format including implementations on other 2d game authoring tools like Stencyl.

The general file format info can be found here: (Please read fileformat.pdf first, as it explains the other contents and sample files)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1013446/Spriter%20Releases/BetaFileFormatRelease/BetaFileFormatRelease.zip

Rolpege's excellent documentation can be found here:
http://abeltoy.com/projects/spriterAS3/?utm_source=OfficialKickstarter&utm_medium=kickstarter&utm_campaign=AnnouncementRelease

Please keep me up to date if you proceed with the beta format, and feel free to ask questions, or give suggestions to me directly at lucid@brashmonkey.com

Thank you

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:17:50 pm by lucid »