iPad3 graphics issue confirmed. Work is in progress!

gplar

April 06, 2012, 11:00:40 am
My update (Rearranged Atlas load/unload to run well on iPad 1) was accepted, which probably means it was tested on iPad3, but I got one comment on AppStore that the app "didn´t work" on an iPad3.
Could somebody  with an iPad "3", I´ve opened it up worldwide for the moment, install it and see if it runs on your 3?
If so, the issue may not be with the app/Stencyl build.
Search AppStore for Mikkelparken (App name) or ARTEL Larsen (Company name). Thnx.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 04:39:09 am by gplar »

Vectrex71

April 06, 2012, 01:01:42 pm
Good day gplar !

I downloaded your app and look here, that's the result on the iPad3

1.) You forgot the Splash Screen for iPad, because on the iPad3 i see just the grey placeholder pic (REPLACE ME)

2.) The rest of the app is like a pixel salad :-( See the pictures i added for you !

The Loading Screen seems to work fine:

But the rest of the app is .......????

I hope it was a help for you !

Good luck !!

My Apps in the Appstore: ZEN Fountain - Pleezz - Pleezz FREE - ConsolesHD, iFeelMe - Minecraft Layer Clock - Beach Layer Clock - Amiga Layer Clock - Amiga Guru Meditation - 3D Fall Down - Balanzze - Balanzze FREE

gplar

April 06, 2012, 03:30:54 pm
Thnx, Vectrex. Job well done. This really is messed up seriously.
Why is it like this? What's different on  the 3? (Except resolution).
All graphics are in the wrong place, and just clips of originals.
Are we in serious trouble on iPad retina?
Works fine on 1 and 2.
Team?

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:45:37 pm by gplar »

Vectrex71

April 06, 2012, 11:58:05 pm
Hi again :-)

Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea why it does not work as expected!

i hope "jon" can say something more about that ! ask him ! But i will test your app again after an update to give you feedback.

good luck !

My Apps in the Appstore: ZEN Fountain - Pleezz - Pleezz FREE - ConsolesHD, iFeelMe - Minecraft Layer Clock - Beach Layer Clock - Amiga Layer Clock - Amiga Guru Meditation - 3D Fall Down - Balanzze - Balanzze FREE

nev

April 07, 2012, 01:35:27 am
As reported on the iOS Pro thread, Joe confirmed the same problem with my game as well. The graphics is messed up on the ipad3, even if it seems that the position of the sprites are correct. Can it be that it is just a problem in the xml files inside the 2x folder, where information about the atlases is stored?...

Joe

April 07, 2012, 01:40:45 am
Jon has been made aware of the problem and will look into this tomorrow. Hang tight. :)

gplar

April 07, 2012, 02:00:12 am
@Vectrex: Thanks. 3's are not readily available in Norway, yet.

@Nev: I stand corrected.  :) Positions and size of graphics are correct, graphic content is all over the place. Looks like references to positions in Atlases are messed up.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 02:03:13 am by gplar »

Jon

April 07, 2012, 02:09:05 am
Can you confirm for me if it's picking up on the 1x or 2x graphics? If it's the latter, it might just be a matter of bad coordinates.
Jonathan Chung - Owner, Stencyl LLC

gplar

April 07, 2012, 02:36:41 am
How can I tell? They look the same.
2x is 1x scaled up by Stencyl and displayed on retina, and 1x is 1x scaled up by Apple and displayed on retina?
Either way 1 pixel is 4 pixels when displayed, I think.

nev

April 07, 2012, 02:50:54 am
Jon, gplar,

As explained on the other thread, they have to be picked up on the 2x graphics, because the version I prepared with 1x1pixel 2x atlases looks different (see attached images: HomeScreen_1 is from the version with 1x1pixel 2x atlases, HomeScreen_2 is from the version with full 2x atlases).

Nev

nev

April 07, 2012, 02:55:16 am
I've been looking at the data contained in the xml files, and the coordinates look correct. But it looks like they get halved when used to pick up the sprites... Or maybe it is using the coordinates contained in the xml files of the 1x atlases.
For the backgrounds it may be different though...

gplar

April 07, 2012, 04:39:38 am
Checked atlases and corresponding xml and it looks like it picks graphics for actors from the 2x bitmap using the 1x coordinates and size.
Backgrounds have, what little I can see of them, the right coordinates, but the size is different from both 1x and 2x xml, now they seem to show the top left corner clipped to 200x80.
Graphics do, however, come from the right Atlas.

Attached game settings if they may influence the choice of coordinates.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 05:09:02 am by gplar »

Vectrex71

April 07, 2012, 05:37:23 am
Thanks. 3's are not readily available in Norway, yet.

Holy cow :-) !! You have to move to switzerland as fast as possible :-)

nev

April 07, 2012, 05:57:38 am
It seems there is a problem with the splash screen too. It is OK on the iPad1 but on the iPad3 a ReplaceMe screen appears. So, to answer to Vectrex71, we didn't forget it, it is just not picked up by the iPad3 (probably it doesn't know were to pick it up....).

gplar

April 07, 2012, 06:19:16 am
Right, Splash/Loading screen is in place but not there.
Maybe I should market this as "GameSalad - 100%"  ;)
On the upside. It seems that input coordinates are correct, as Vectrex could move between my "screens" by clicking on "icons".  :)
On the downside. I got $3000 for the app and the natives are restless, even though there are very few new iPads in Norway and it works just fine on 1&2. Maybe a move isn't such a bad idea, Vectrex.  :)
Btw. This probably means that all Stencylbuilt apps on AppStore need an update when this is sorted.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 06:42:47 am by gplar »