Actor changing glitch

toaster

Hello, I'm working on a game where you collect items, which causes the character to change to a different actor every point scored.  However, when I collect an item, it the character changes, but doesn't seem to work.  Here is the code I made for changing character.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thank you.
http://imgur.com/i3QKf

rob1221

Try creating the new actor before killing self.

toaster

I tried that, but it still keeps freezing.

rob1221

If it's freezing, I suspect the problem is overlapping collision shapes.  I experienced that in a game I'm working on, and I got around it by changing the previous actor's animation to one with no collision shape 0.02 seconds before creating the new actor and killing self.

Nomosoft

Does it need to be a different actor? What if you just made a bunch of different animations for one actor, and enabled/disabled/set the variables for any behaviors after switching the animation?

toaster

@rob1221 I'm not too good at Stencyl, do you think you can post a picture of what it would look like?

@Nomosoft It probably doesn't, but I'm using the default Run and jump kit, would that work with it?

rob1221

It's pretty simple really.  When the player's death is triggered, switch animation, and then after 0.02 seconds create the new actor and kill self.

toaster

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I tried and got this error

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
   at stencyl.api.engine.actor::Actor/getX()[/Users/jon/Desktop/stencyl/plaf/flash/root/stencyl/api/engine/actor/Actor.as:1432]
   at Function/<anonymous>()[C:\Program Files (x86)\StencylWorks\preview\scripts\Design_219_219_LevelUp.as:45]
   at stencyl.api.engine::TimedTask/update()[/Users/jon/Desktop/stencyl/plaf/flash/root/stencyl/api/engine/TimedTask.as:40]
   at stencyl.api.engine::GameState/innerUpdate()[/Users/jon/Desktop/stencyl/plaf/flash/root/stencyl/api/engine/GameState.as:1461]
   at stencyl.api.engine::GameState/postUpdate()[/Users/jon/Desktop/stencyl/plaf/flash/root/stencyl/api/engine/GameState.as:1395]
   at stencyl.api.engine::GameState/update()[/Users/jon/Desktop/stencyl/plaf/flash/root/stencyl/api/engine/GameState.as:1377]
   at org.flixel::FlxGame/update()[/Users/jon/Desktop/stencyl/plaf/flash/flixel/org/flixel/FlxGame.as:400]

This is my code: http://imgur.com/EUwzW

rob1221

If you're going to do that under "Always" you need to use a boolean to stop the blocks from executing more than once.

toaster

i changed it to "when this collides with something else" then added a block to execute only if it collides with another actor, and it seems to work.  Thank you for help.