WIP – A Tower Defense Tutorial for Stencyl 2.0

Xietao

Just completed tutorial 7, I've come across a very strange bug.. Everything goes great until I choose the tower and then the buttons slide across the screen instead of going back to the original position...

I've uploaded it to StencylForge (Tower Defense Game) I replaced the last version on there.

Edit: So I exported your version of Three Button Fan and Create Tower Behavior and it worked. But still would like to know what I did wrong.
I know! In the hide custom block the slide block you see this:
slide [Actor] by/to ...
You need select "to" option.
Free Time:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 13h
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday: 7h
Loving Linux...

CrimsonThunder

Just completed tutorial 7, I've come across a very strange bug.. Everything goes great until I choose the tower and then the buttons slide across the screen instead of going back to the original position...

I've uploaded it to StencylForge (Tower Defense Game) I replaced the last version on there.

Edit: So I exported your version of Three Button Fan and Create Tower Behavior and it worked. But still would like to know what I did wrong.
I know! In the hide custom block the slide block you see this:
slide [Actor] by/to ...
You need select "to" option.

Excellent! Thank you Xietao. :)

Also not sure if you've noticed yet, but if you let the enemies make it to the end some of them go back to a certain position and start the loop again. This could easily be fixed in a "kill actor when leaving the screen and minus ___ points" thing you'll probably add in, but just thought I'd mention it just in case.

This problem seems to happen a lot more in my game, but then again I'm having heaps of problems lol.

(screenshot is from your tutorial version 8 )
Do you check "Loop" Boolean?

Hmm, I don't know how to check it, its strange though because it only does it for certain types and doesn't do it for the original enemy.

Xietao

Ok, Go to the "strange" Enemies -> Follow Path Behavior -> See "Loop"
Free Time:
Loving Linux...

CrimsonThunder

Ok, Go to the "strange" Enemies -> Follow Path Behavior -> See "Loop"
Wonderful, thanks a lot. :P Now I do remember changing that for the first character. :)

CrimsonThunder

Awesome! Just completed tutorial 8 and had no problems what so ever, besides having to double check in your flicker file to make sure I did it properly (so I attatched it here for anyone that wants to see quickly).

Just got a few questions. With the score to the right it keeps going to the right instead of going to the left (if that doesn't make sense... I want the initial 0 to be the place that it ends, any extra numbers appear to the left) is that possible? Either way I just set my score to the left part of the screen as that works for now.

Second, with the enemy configuration file you have to fill in everything if you want to use it for a character. I'm assuming you also can't have any content in the original places (eg: in the health manager) if you want it to work because you'll have two conflicting numbers? Would it be possible to add a tick box to make it so that number is used. eg:

Starting Health:
[ x ] - Use this setting
120 Health.

Flicker Count:
[ ] - Use this setting
0 Flickers

If that makes sense? So because the health was ticked it would use that, but wouldn't use the flicker count and instead would use the original one.

Cheers for a great tutorial so far Publysher, I've learnt so much from it! My favorite part was the GUI how the buttons pan out (even though I spent about 3 hours trying to see why it didn't work... and it was just one little detail that stuffed it up lol) And thanks to all the other users in here helping eachother and myself! This is a great community and Stencyl is a great program to use. :)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:16:54 am by CrimsonThunder »

publysher

Awesome! Just completed tutorial 8 and had no problems what so ever, besides having to double check in your flicker file to make sure I did it properly (so I attatched it here for anyone that wants to see quickly).

Good point, I will add it to the tutorial at my next update.

Just got a few questions. With the score to the right it keeps going to the right instead of going to the left (if that doesn't make sense... I want the initial 0 to be the place that it ends, any extra numbers appear to the right) is that possible? Either way I just set my score to the left part of the screen as that works for now.

Yep, it's quite annoying, I know :)  I will eventually replace the Score Manager by a custom Score Manager that (among others) aligns to the right instead of to the left. So much features I'd like to implement.... :)

Second, with the enemy configuration file you have to fill in everything if you want to use it for a character. I'm assuming you also can't have any content in the original places (eg: in the health manager) if you want it to work because you'll have two conflicting numbers? Would it be possible to add a tick box to make it so that number is used. eg:

Starting Health:
[ x ] - Use this setting
120 Health.

Flicker Count:
[ ] - Use this setting
0 Flickers

If that makes sense? So because the health was ticked it would use that, but wouldn't use the flicker count and instead would use the original one.

Yes, that is possible. However, in the current setup the settings in Enemy Configuration will always override the settings in your other behaviors, so in the end it's quite clear where everything goes (I hope...)

Cheers for a great tutorial so far Publysher, I've learnt so much from it! My favorite part was the GUI how the buttons pan out (even though I spent about 3 hours trying to see why it didn't work... and it was just one little detail that stuffed it up lol) And thanks to all the other users in here helping eachother and myself! This is a great community and Stencyl is a great program to use. :)

You're welcome :) It's really nice to see you all helping each other out.

Xietao

Part 9 is ready?
Free Time:
Loving Linux...

Xietao

I can see a thing: In slower computers the GUI Slide speed .15 seconds can works only sometimes
Free Time:
Loving Linux...

CrimsonThunder

Much like Xietao, looking forward to the next one. :P

Xietao

Free Time:
Loving Linux...

Xietao

What about is Part 9?
Free Time:
Loving Linux...

publysher

Hi impatient followers ;-)

I've finished the code and notes for part 9, but I'm having some troubles with the final write-up. So rest assured, it will come.

- publysher

Xietao

Free Time:
Loving Linux...

Xietao

Tomorrow I can't see you, beacause I going to "play" :(
Free Time:
Loving Linux...