WIP – A Tower Defense Tutorial for Stencyl 2.0

publysher

Sorry for the triple post but, am I the only one that every now and then when I push the create tower button instead of the fan coming out one of the fan buttons replace the create tower button? And at other times the fan just spawns in a really weird shape?

I have noticed this behavior when I set the debugger on high speed; I believe Xietao also mentioned something like that happening on slower computers.

Also my machine gun towers (the red ones) keep shooting even after doing the fix... I uploaded it to the Forge (Tower Defense Game) if you would like to have a look. :)

Have you checked if your Red Tower actor is indeed part of the Towers collision group?

CrimsonThunder

Sorry for the triple post but, am I the only one that every now and then when I push the create tower button instead of the fan coming out one of the fan buttons replace the create tower button? And at other times the fan just spawns in a really weird shape?

I have noticed this behavior when I set the debugger on high speed; I believe Xietao also mentioned something like that happening on slower computers.

Yeah I noticed it when doing the debug thing, mainly because thats how I kept testing the game over scene and didn't wanna wait for 2 mins haha.

Also my machine gun towers (the red ones) keep shooting even after doing the fix... I uploaded it to the Forge (Tower Defense Game) if you would like to have a look. :)

Have you checked if your Red Tower actor is indeed part of the Towers collision group?

Now I feel stupid. lol Thanks!

Xietao

I set it the animation duration to 0.5 seconds and the hide buttons block, when goes to hide you can see the buttons are threre for a little time and then I set it to "do after Animation Duration - 0.3" works great.
Free Time:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 13h
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday: 7h
Loving Linux...

CrimsonThunder

D:

No posts for ages?

CrimsonThunder

I'm sad. Can we get an update Pub?

Xietao

??? What about this?
Free Time:
Loving Linux...

CrimsonThunder

??? What about this?
I guess hes having troubles with it, has no time or just doesn't wanna do it anymore. :(

jfly99

Need help with the last part of tutorial 8, Enemy Configuration. How do you insert the Dead Enemy Actor Type into the for _ set _ to _ block? I have attached screen shots of my code and the author's for comparison. Thank you.

jfly99

Figured it out, posting my own answer in case anybody is interested. Actor -> Properties -> Actor Type. Drag in Actor Type then select Dead Enemy as actor Type. Probably a silly problem but I was stuck on it for a long time. Thanks anyways. And especially thank you to publysher for such great tutorials. Keep up the awesome work, it is very appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:11:16 pm by jfly99 »

publysher

??? What about this?
I guess hes having troubles with it, has no time or just doesn't wanna do it anymore. :(

Hi guys,

Don't worry too much – the next part _is_ being written and it _will_ appear, but sometimes life gets in the way.

- publysher

Xietao

Free Time:
Loving Linux...

CrimsonThunder

Figured it out, posting my own answer in case anybody is interested. Actor -> Properties -> Actor Type. Drag in Actor Type then select Dead Enemy as actor Type. Probably a silly problem but I was stuck on it for a long time. Thanks anyways. And especially thank you to publysher for such great tutorials. Keep up the awesome work, it is very appreciated.
I've found opening up Publyshers version can easily point out any problems you're having.

Silux

Wow!
I planned to make a turret defense kit one year ago, but i had to drop as i was inexperienced.
I'd love to test and help!
Currently working at:
Starwarrior 2097(my main project)
How to make successful games in Kongregate and the world(article)

cmontero

Thanks a lot for this tutorial, publysher. It's very useful, not just for TD games, but for many other projects if you are just beginning with Stencyl.

Keep up the good work!