Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Bug Issue: Joypad Dead-zone code is not ideal / feels wrong

Pages: 1

UnusualCadence

• Subscriber - Stencyl Studio
March 10, 2017, 02:29:20 pm
Hello!

I've been setting up joypad controls for my game, and I'm finding that the deadzone is snapping weirdly to 90 degree angles. A bit of digging and I found this article:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JoshSutphin/20130416/190541/Doing_Thumbstick_Dead_Zones_Right.php

It seems that Stencyl's input.hx is doing exactly what is shown in the first 'wrong' example. It would be great if this could be fixed with the 2nd example using the vector magnitude!

rob1221

• Master Stencyler
March 10, 2017, 03:07:42 pm
I brought this issue up with Justin when I was working on one of my Steam games and he said that block was working as intended, but what I could do is add a dropdown so devs can choose between axial and radial dead zones.  I'll look into this within the next few days.
  • Status changed from New to Assigned
  • Issue Assigned from (none) to rob1221

rob1221

• Master Stencyler
March 12, 2017, 10:36:50 am
I got stuck trying to change this because I can't figure out which physical button a particular axis belongs to.  I need both axes of a button/stick to do radial dead zones, but if I can't figure out which physical buttons they belong to I can't match the correct axes.  Since the gamepad code is changing with the non-legacy OpenFL update that Justin is working on I will take another look at this issue at that point.

UnusualCadence

• Subscriber - Stencyl Studio
March 16, 2017, 08:10:13 am
No problem Rob, thanks for looking in to it. I've actually solved this issue in my game by setting the sensitivty to 0% and doing the input filtering in a script. Works great, and I can switch back to the implemented deadzone method for menus... which works nicely!

Issue updated by rob1221 - July 20, 2017, 08:51:15 am
  • Status changed from Assigned to Confirmed
  • Issue Assigned from rob1221 to (none)

Pages: 1

Details

• Reported
    March 10, 2017, 02:29:20 pm
  • Updated
    July 20, 2017, 08:51:15 am

• View Status
    Public
  • Type