Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Bug Issue: Game won't open

Pages: 1

pjorg

• Junior Stencyler
September 29, 2017, 12:37:26 pm
Hello stencyl community. Nice to meet you all, though I wish it was on better circumstances. I have been working on a small game for a couple months now and didn't have the foresight to back it up. Earlier this afternoon, my computer blue-screened in the middle of saving, causing my game to be corrupted.  Stencyl breaks every time I try to reopen it. The Stencylpedia told me to zip up the game and ask the forums for help, so here it I am. Apologies if this post is violated any forum etiquette, any help is much appreciated.  Here the .zip if this helps

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B71w9nvm1sxYQ1NSZndhQWNMa3M/view?usp=sharing

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 29, 2017, 03:17:49 pm
Might be difficult, or you might be really lucky.

Here are the files that your game lost:
Code: [Select]
game.xml
snippets/ActorEvents_130.design
snippets/Design_52_52_Enemystuff.design
snippets/SceneEvents_0.design
scenes/0.xml
scenes/scenes.xml
resources/data.xml

You may be able to find good copies of some of these documents in a previously compiled version of your game.

Debug > View > View Workspace Folder opens a system file explorer to the workspace.
Go to stencylworks/games-generated/Shock Broker to try to find viable backup copies of your documents.
game.xml
Assets/data/scene-0.xml (is scenes/0.xml)
Assets/data/scenes.xml (is scenes/scenes.xml)
Assets/data/resources.xml (is resources/data.xml)

For the lost .design files, I'm not sure if this will work, but you can check stencylworks/preview/scripts to see if there are still some older, uncorrupted copies of the .design files in there.

If it's impossible to find good copies of the .design files (your design mode behaviors), you might still be able to find copies of the generated Haxe code for each behavior. stencylworks/games/Shock Broker/behavior-hx/{NAME}.hx or stencylworks/games-generated/Shock Broker/Source/scripts/{NAME}.hx. If this is all you're left with, you could replace those .design files with empty templates so they'll load, and then use the Haxe code as a basis for rebuilding those behaviors, or paste the Haxe code back into your design mode behaviors using the large code blocks.

Empty Design Mode Behavior file
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<groups/>
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:24:57 pm by Justin »

Pages: 1

Details

• Reported
    September 29, 2017, 12:37:26 pm
  • Updated
    September 29, 2017, 03:17:49 pm

• View Status