Bug Issue: "Save As" mix-up blocks in pre-shipped behaviors

Pages: 1

zackan3

• Subscriber - Stencyl Indie
February 18, 2021, 06:07:27 am
Hi Community  :), I am not sure if it happens only if you are using the Crash Course Kit, but I have been adding some pre shipped behaviors and some of them, as soon as you import it, your game is broken..... so one workaround that I have found is to remove the behavior..... close stencyl, reopen stencyl, reimport the pres hipped behavior and see if it works.... if it doesn´t, then I have to do it again, until it does...
The one that has been giving me some trouble is the Health Manager and the Camera Follow...
Here are some screens of the issue:

Here is the Design Mode showing some messed up attributes

////////////////Another Workaround
I suggest not to use Save As to create a copy of your game...... this could be the source of the problem, I have tried exporting the game and reimporting it with a different name and using the preshipped behavior now works....

I know that I can have some workaround to deal with this...... but it bothers a lot.

My version is 4.0.4, but this has been happening a while ago since versions from 2017. Atleast when I have noticed it for the first time.

Hope you can help me  :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 05:21:42 pm by Luyren »

Luyren

• Master Stencyler
February 18, 2021, 10:44:49 am
I cannot reproduce your issue with the steps provided, and it's hard to say what could have caused it without your logs. The only issue remotely similar to this is if you copy the blocks of a behavior into another copy of the same game, which doesn't seems like what you're doing.

Your word choice is also peculiar: the pre-shipped behaviors are already in your game, you don't import them like you would import external resources, you add them directly to your actors or scenes. If you are indeed somehow importing them, that might be generating duplicate behaviors and have odd and unintended effects, not unlike the ones you are experiencing, I'd guess.

zackan3

February 18, 2021, 03:48:12 pm
Hi Luyren, thanks for your answer, I  used the word import, cause it shows in my game only after I use it in an Actor, and then I get the errors, but if I delete it... the error goes away... But basically I am just adding the Pre shipped behavior... Sorry about the logs. here are the Logs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uICtDSGic20n2KbZlBc1dvqN8swoWJdb/view?usp=sharing

The project is called Clase 4 Copy

I am going to see if I can record a video trying to recreate the bug.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 03:49:33 pm by zackan3 »

Luyren

• Master Stencyler
February 19, 2021, 06:48:58 am
You can attach files on the right-side panel on this issue thread, no need to use external services.

The logs say it failed to parse a bunch of behaviors, but I can't tell what may have triggered it. If this issue doesn't happen in a blank game (one scene and one actor only, attach the pre-shipped behaviors), then it could be a problem in the behaviors of that specific game. You could try going to Tools > Game > Clean Project and see if it makes a difference.

zackan3

February 20, 2021, 09:40:15 am
Hi Luyren, thanks for your answer again! :), well, sorry for not using the attach feature  :( , I have tried using the Clean Project, but is not working. So I have recorded a video of the Issue and I have attached the project file.

https://youtu.be/rrSWEJcVHWc

New attachment added by zackan3 - February 20, 2021, 09:40:29 am

Luyren

• Master Stencyler
February 20, 2021, 05:21:42 pm
Confirmed on b10658. By selecting "Save As..." to make a new copy of the game and attaching one of the pre-shipped behaviors, some of its blocks get mixed up, resulting in compile errors.

Steps to reproduce:
1- Create a game with one actor and one scene.
2- Hit "Save As..."
3- Attach a pre-shipped behavior (in this test, Health Manager)
4- Test Game

Compilation errors happen, and opening the behavior shows the blocks got mixed up. The original game remains unaffected.

@zackan3 here's what you can do about it:
Try to test the game, get the compile error and click "Open All". This will open the behavior and highlight all the ones with errors.
Open another instance of Stencyl and open a different, brand new game. Attach the Health Manager behavior to an actor and open it.
Compare the two and fix the Health Manager behavior in your original game.

Alternatively, I have resource packs available for Stencyl if you don't want to use the pre-shipped behaviors, including a Health one in my combat pack: https://luyren.itch.io/
They have more options, but have a learning curve to them. On the up side, you shouldn't encounter that sort of issue, as I just tried importing a resource pack into a game created with "Save As" and everything worked fine.
  • Issue renamed from "Health Manager Messed Up with Attributes from another behavior" to ""Save As" mix-up blocks in pre-shipped behaviors"
  • Category changed from Behavior Settings to Design Mode Blocks

zackan3

February 21, 2021, 11:04:19 am
Hi Luyren Thanks for your answer!, thank you for helping me out to find a solution for this!, that is a good idea to fix the behavior :) ,  I am going to tell my students that solution so they can face the problem with another workaround.

I am gonna check your combat pack to see if they can use it in their projects!... Thanks again!  :)

Pages: 1

Details

• Reported
    February 18, 2021, 06:07:27 am
  • Updated
    February 21, 2021, 11:04:19 am

• View Status
    Public
  • Type
    Bug
  • Status
    New
  • Priority
    Normal
  • Version
    (none)
  • Fixed in
    (none)
  • Assigned to
    (none)
  • Category
    Design Mode Blocks

Tags

Attachments

* Clase 4_exported.stencyl (1430.16 kB - downloaded 185 times.)