Bug Issue: OGG music doesn't loop properly on iOS

Pages: 1 2

suitcasenuke

• Subscriber - Stencyl Studio
February 15, 2018, 04:52:06 pm
I've seen this issue reported for Android, but I haven't noticed it come up for iOS. I've been noticing music tracks aren't looping properly on device, but in a couple different ways. Sometimes a track will loop 2-3 times then stop, other times the track will loop prematurely. It's odd.

Thanks!

Justin

• Master Stencyler
June 12, 2018, 09:46:29 am
Could you provide a test game or sample track + related settings info?

suitcasenuke

June 12, 2018, 10:12:09 am
I'll send a PM with a game. I can say that the problem happens way less often when setting the music to a Sound Effect. In the case of the sample game, the track doesn't matter either. It could happen on any of them.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
June 12, 2018, 03:07:14 pm
I haven't noticed anything after playing it for a while.

I did make a change recently to allow streaming again, perhaps that improved the behavior of sounds set to Music.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 03:07:39 pm by Justin »

suitcasenuke

June 12, 2018, 03:55:45 pm
Thanks! I'll play around with it.

Issue updated by Justin - June 29, 2018, 10:06:35 am
  • Tags added: openal

GuyCockcroft

July 04, 2018, 09:39:04 am
This is still an issue.

GuyCockcroft

July 04, 2018, 01:28:21 pm
I've also noticed that streamed music gets stopped when the AppleID sign-in screen appears.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 05:25:21 am by GuyCockcroft »

ChristianEs

August 02, 2018, 10:52:13 pm
i also have problems, sometimes (randomly) the loop audio (music) stops after changing scene or if i send the app to the background and come back again. im using 9937

AlexVsCoding

September 05, 2018, 12:59:19 pm
i also have problems, sometimes (randomly) the loop audio (music) stops after changing scene or if i send the app to the background and come back again. im using 9937

I second this, the ogg file cuts early the loop, crashes my desktop builds and on app cuts the audio out randomly when other applications/popups kick in.

A solution to be found to this would be appreciated as I'm submitting my app within the next week to Apple!

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 05, 2018, 07:24:39 pm
I haven't seen music causing a crash before. If you have a game where the music cuts early 100% of the time, that would be helpful to look at.

FMStudioGameDev

September 06, 2018, 01:55:20 am
I guess it can be the same bug causing the issue I reported here
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php?issue=1329.0
Probably it's not the "stop all sound" block the guilty one as I first thought but some memory leaks.
I am attaching a sample game to my thread, anyway it is not happening 100% of the time, and for me it occurs  only on iOS 10.3 and not on a device running iOS 11.4

AlexVsCoding

September 06, 2018, 08:28:38 am
To be honest, I'm less fussed about the crashing and more-so the issues with looping (The crashing only occurs in desktop which I only use for testing). This has been an issue for the 6 years I've used Stencyl and it somehow remains unresolved.

The closest I've come to fixing it is using the "When track is finished" block instead of the built in loop function but even that is providing a noticeable pause on each of the intro and loop tracks.

RE: the 100% reliably cutting out of the audio when focus lost issue of my app, I'll upload a new TF build of my game and shoot you the build over if that's okay?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 08:32:59 am by AlexVsCoding »

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 06, 2018, 05:08:52 pm
Oh. That's fine, sure. It sounds like it has a definite cause here (losing focus). I thought you meant that the track simply stopped playing early with seemingly no reason at all.

jaughnaugh

September 06, 2018, 08:04:38 pm
I have also been having poblems with this! Especially on iOS. the music keeps cutting when looping, sometimes stops completely (mutes) and then after a few seconds it plays again. but mostly it doesnt loop seeminglessly..
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 08:05:19 pm by jaughnaugh »

AlexVsCoding

September 11, 2018, 06:19:58 am
Having now implemented ads, the situation is even worse (I have code that tells the music to stop when the ad shows but it doesn't come back afterwards despite logic being there!) To clarify Justin, is it the app you're needing or the game file?

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 12, 2018, 08:46:30 am
The Stencyl project, and most importantly, if there are steps you can take to reproduce the issue 100% of the time, let me know what they are.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 18, 2018, 02:11:00 am
I've made a change in b9989 that should at the very least, allow the sound to come back when focus is regained.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 28, 2018, 08:37:34 am
Never got any files from Alex, but based on some files I received from others, I fixed some issues with music cutting out. Perhaps it'll help out with this.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 28, 2018, 08:39:06 am
If anybody is still having problems, and they can create something that is reproducible 100% of the time, that would certainly make it easier for me to fix any issues.
  • Status changed from New to Need Info

AlexVsCoding

October 01, 2018, 08:22:53 am
Replied to another post regarding issues with atlases, included this video that does the degraded performance (Which stops the audio in this case).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnYCRBCv_qg

How am I sending the Stencyl file through to you Justin (Obv don't want to post it in the attachments here). Thanks again!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 08:23:21 am by AlexVsCoding »

Pages: 1 2

Details

• Reported
    February 15, 2018, 04:52:06 pm
  • Updated
    October 01, 2018, 10:08:31 am

• View Status
    Public
  • Type
    Bug
  • Status