Bug Issue: Stencyl deleted almost all of my files when I opened up the uninstall

Pages: 1

Stencylissketchy

• Junior Stencyler
August 18, 2020, 01:06:16 am
I posted this in another area, but I have no idea if it's a bug. I do not know why it did this, but it's very sketchy.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
August 18, 2020, 08:13:55 am
Here's a link to the forum thread where more information was posted.

Topic: Stencyl deleted a lot of my files when I opened up uninstall

I can't help with the deleted files. I'd advise looking into file restore software, but I'm no expert. I hope you're able to get the files back.

I've taken a look over the code the installer/uninstaller runs.

We set a registry key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Stencyl\Path) to the Stencyl install path when Stencyl is installed. That means, using the default install location, that would be set to "C:\Program Files\Stencyl".

When the uninstaller is run, it looks up that registry key, and deletes the named folder.

The only ways this could screw up are if Stencyl was installed to a path where it really shouldn't have been (C:\Users\Username\Desktop instead of C:\Users\Username\Desktop\Stencyl, for example), or if multiple copies of Stencyl were installed, and then both of those uninstallers were run, or if somebody or some other application modified the registry in-between when Stencyl was installed and when it was uninstalled.

Does any of this sound like it may have been the case for you?

The uninstaller is generally safe, but we never really considered uncommon cases like the ones I mentioned. I'll rewrite the uninstaller to make it more safe.
  • Tags added: 4.0.4

Chris24XD

• Junior Stencyler
August 18, 2020, 03:17:32 pm
And you haven't backuped your games? Too bad man :(

Justin

• Master Stencyler
August 18, 2020, 04:20:36 pm
The issue here isn't games. Files completely unrelated to Stencyl were deleted.

Issue updated by Justin - September 28, 2020, 12:32:01 am
  • Tags added: 4.1.0
  • Tags removed: 4.0.4

Pages: 1

Details

• Reported
    August 18, 2020, 01:06:16 am
  • Updated
    September 28, 2020, 12:32:01 am

• View Status
    Public
  • Type