Bug Issue: Mac Download not opening

Pages: 1

furorgames

• Junior Stencyler
September 06, 2020, 09:27:31 am
When downloading the app on my Macbook, the application would open for a fraction of a second and shut down. This has happened when downloading using the DMG and the ZIP File. I haven't found anyone discussing this issue in 2020, but if someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated!

irock

• Master Stencyler
September 06, 2020, 10:31:41 am
1. Drag Stencyl.app onto the Desktop.
2. Drag it back into the Stencyl folder.
3. Try opening it.

Does that work?

furorgames

• Junior Stencyler
September 06, 2020, 10:43:11 am
Hi, Thanks for the reply. After doing what you said, it gave me a notice saying "Java" cannot be openeed because the developer cannot be verified. macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.

The only options it gives me is either move to trash or cancel.

What should I do?

irock

• Master Stencyler
September 06, 2020, 11:09:09 am
I'll defer to a developer, because I was under the impression that that error wasn't an issue anymore.

If you'd like to run Stencyl right now, you can tell macOS to allow apps from anywhere, at least temporarily.

furorgames

• Junior Stencyler
September 06, 2020, 11:11:55 am
It seems to have worked! I guess this will have to do for the time being, but thanks for your time and quick responses!

mbergoei

• Subscriber - Stencyl Studio
October 26, 2020, 07:01:40 pm
This happens every time you reboot. So every time you will have to approve the app from within Preferences/Security, as well as Java. It's a nuisance but manageable.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
October 26, 2020, 07:57:18 pm
Is that so? That's really disappointing. I put a lot of work into just getting it to run on macOS right away with no warnings or required workaround.

Is that with the .dmg? Because the dmg is the only release that's fully notarized. For the zip release, workarounds are expected when you try to open the app for the first time (drag out of and into folder, or remove the quarantine xattr). However, in either case, I didn't realize macOS would "forget" you had allowed Stencyl to open after a reboot.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
November 03, 2020, 03:48:04 am
Okay, I'm taking another look at this.

As mentioned before, the zip file will require a bit of work to open. That's not the focus here. (But the workaround is basically the same as the steps I'm about to describe, that allowed me to open it from the dmg release.)

Ideally, the dmg should open right away with no issues (except Apple's "this software was downloaded from the internet, are you sure you want to run it?" pestering). I downloaded the dmg, and when I dragged the folder from the mounted dmg into /Applications, indeed it worked fine. However, when I tried to open it from my ~/Downloads folder, it told me that java couldn't be verified.

I specifically tested this setup (running a fresh copy of Stencyl from a protected folder) on Catalina, and it worked before. Maybe this is new in Big Sur, or maybe it's because this is a beta, I'm not sure. For now, this does work even if you run it from a protected folder:
- Right-click "Stencyl.command"
- Select Open
- "Are you sure you want to open this?" > Open
- "java would like to access files in your X folder." > OK

Again, ideally, you shouldn't need to do this. I think that in the end, we simply need to do things in a more "Mac app" way than we're doing them now, or the angry Apple gods will never forgive us.

1. At least for the dmg release, place everything inside the .app package instead of placing the .app alongside the rest of the software. I suspect that this alone will resolve the issue.
2. Make the dmg a little friendlier. Provide the /Applications shortcut to drag the .app into, just like many other applications do. Sometimes people open Stencyl straight from the mounted dmg volume, and then they're surprised when it's not there anymore when they reboot their machine. This should help with that.
3. As a side-effect of 1, though this is just an unverified observation, I think the mechanism macOS uses to copy folders is different for .app packages. Having everything inside the .app may significantly speed up the copying from the mounted dmg to the target folder.

Issue updated by Justin - November 03, 2020, 03:50:42 am
  • Issue Assigned from (none) to Justin
  • Tags added: 4.1.0

Pages: 1

Details

• Reported
    September 06, 2020, 09:27:31 am
  • Updated
    November 03, 2020, 03:50:42 am

• View Status
    Public
  • Type