Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Suggestion Issue: Directory preferences do not work and data has been lost.

Pages: 1

carlsmith

• Junior Stencyler
June 07, 2017, 12:50:49 pm
Whenever I run Stencyl, it adds unwanted files and directories to the home directory, which makes a mess, and doesn't respect local filesystem conventions, so other tools get confused.

Changing the Stencyl directory in the preferences does not work. When you submit the changes, it offers to copy everything to the new directory; you accept, and it says it moved everything, but didn't. Stencyl stills creates cruft in the home directory, and the setting does not persist. When you relaunch Stencyl, the preferences show the Stencyl directory as the home directory again. Presumably, it only ever appears to change in the UI.

I saved a game, but it disappeared, presumably due to the same issue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

rob1221

• Master Stencyler
June 07, 2017, 01:14:12 pm
Could you generate and attach logs?
  • Status changed from New to Need Info
  • Category changed from Engine to Game Settings

carlsmith

• Junior Stencyler
June 07, 2017, 01:55:30 pm
It's all uninstalled now. I'm trying a beta version (3.4.0.beta4 b9300) instead. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for the quick response.

carlsmith

• Junior Stencyler
June 07, 2017, 02:22:56 pm
I figured out the problem. When you set up a different directory, Stencyl puts everything there, except for `StencylWorks.prefs`, which is still written to the home directory. That file stores the custom directory preference, so deleting it effectively resets the preference.

The prefs file should really be in `~/.config/StencylWorks/`. Even just making `StencylWorks.prefs` a hidden file, and leaving it in the home directory would be ok.

If Stencyl looked for the prefs file where I suggested before it concludes the file doesn't exist, then users would not see any change outside the docs. Stencyl would still create `~/StencylWorks.prefs`, but advanced users would know they could rename/move it.

Anyway, everything is working as it's intended to work, so I've changed this from a bug to a suggestion.

Thanks again for your help.
  • Type changed from Bug to Suggestion
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:25:45 pm by carlsmith »

Issue updated by rob1221 - June 07, 2017, 02:55:26 pm
  • Status changed from Need Info to New

Pages: 1

Details

• Reported
    June 07, 2017, 12:50:49 pm
  • Updated
    June 07, 2017, 02:55:26 pm

• View Status