Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Suggestion Issue: Neko security concern

Pages: 1

ArcaneTheWoof

• Junior Stencyler
May 19, 2017, 11:51:33 am
I just got started using the latest version of Stencyl on Mac, and when attempting to test a game, I am instructed to install NekoVM; this sort of thing is common enough in apps. However, when I advance through the dialogue, a very non-system text input pops up for my system password.

This is not how you ask for permission to make changes on Mac (nor really anywhere else). It looks shady as all get out, and my immediate reaction is to find out if I can manually install Neko. I'm not saying that I think you guys are trying to steal my info, but you really should use the standard OS practices for modifying the system if you need to, and if you can't (for whatever reason), please instead just give directions for how to install Neko manually.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
May 19, 2017, 12:03:48 pm
This has already been modified for the upcoming release, because somebody else complained about the same thing. Since you only have access to the public releases, you can find the install script yourself and inspect it/modify it/run it manually. It can be found at [Stencyl install]/plaf/install_neko.
  • Status changed from New to Resolved
  • Issue Assigned from (none) to Justin

Pages: 1

Details

• Reported
    May 19, 2017, 11:51:33 am
  • Updated
    May 19, 2017, 12:03:48 pm

• View Status
    Public
  • Type
    Suggestion