Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Suggestion Issue: Add/Remove Behaviors at runtime

Pages: 1

Fool

• Level 1 Stencyler
September 08, 2016, 03:37:25 pm
Would you be interested in supporting adding and removing behaviors on actors and scenes at run time?
A big part of this is the opportunity to adopt more flexible character behavior, such as in the case of reconfigurable finite state machine.

By allowing dynamic or runtime addition and removal of behaviors, actors and scenes can be configured from say, external files--this would allow games made in stencyl to offer modding support, a boon for some indies.
Modding and the ability to dynamically add or remove behaviors to scenes and actors increases replay value when a game is released, and the ability to alter game behavior without recompilation, which is a big plus on larger projects that can take a long time to recompile even after *small changes*.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 03:38:33 pm by Fool »

Issue updated by Justin - September 08, 2016, 06:51:19 pm
  • Category changed from (none) to Engine

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 08, 2016, 06:54:56 pm
Yeah, sounds like a good idea. I don't know how useful it would be as far as permanent additions, because you'll just have to add them again in the toolset itself. But it's something I had to hack in to one of my projects like 4 years ago, so I totally get the reconfigurable and moddable aspect.

Quote from: Fool
Modding and the ability to dynamically add or remove behaviors to scenes and actors increases replay value when a game is released, and the ability to alter game behavior without recompilation, which is a big plus on larger projects that can take a long time to recompile even after *small changes*.

If you're not already using it, try the Cppia target! :D

Fool

• Level 1 Stencyler
September 22, 2016, 05:21:03 pm
Hey thanks for the quick response Justin. I thought I'd get back to you and give you a heads up for what its worth.

With the help of some custom event stubs, heres a mockup of what dynamic behaviors would look like. Granted json loading is something separate, and is only shown to help demonstrate  how this would be used.

I know you have other things on your plate, and of course Engine updates come an go. I'm not asking you to commit to anything, or even given a deadline, but can you see this being implemented sometime in the near future, say within next year?

Also, thanks for updating the category.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 05:23:28 pm by Fool »

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 22, 2016, 05:42:05 pm
I have to do a bunch of engine work anyway when I resume work on the OpenFL 4 update. I'll take care of this then. Let's say within 2 months? That's a pretty cautious estimate, but you never know when things will go wrong!

Fool

• Level 1 Stencyler
September 22, 2016, 09:05:53 pm
I'll take care of this then. Let's say within 2 months? That's a pretty cautious estimate, but you never know when things will go wrong!

So six months optimistically. Thanks for at least putting your foot our there. ETAs can sometimes be like poorly timed shotguns.  :P

I'll definitely be renewing my subscription, or upgrading my current plan.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 09:06:56 pm by Fool »

Issue updated by Justin - March 31, 2017, 12:30:58 pm
  • Issue Assigned from (none) to Justin

Pages: 1

Details

• Reported
    September 08, 2016, 03:37:25 pm
  • Updated
    March 31, 2017, 12:30:58 pm

• View Status
    Public
  • Type