Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Bug Issue: actor effects cause extreme slowdown

Pages: 1

NobodyX

• Master Stencyler
September 07, 2017, 05:48:42 pm
Guess I should make a post here about this.

In ccpia and Windows mode, using actor effects can make the framerate extremely slow. The bigger the actor is being drawn on the screen, the slower the game gets, so in fullscreen it is worse than windowed.

With one actor being tinted that's about 200x200 pixels, the game will slow down to 13 fps.

Let me know if I can help.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 07, 2017, 06:25:20 pm
Investigating this right now. I'm having sooo much fun playing Ghost Song at <1 FPS. :P

NobodyX

• Master Stencyler
September 07, 2017, 06:53:54 pm
Haha I bet. :p

There was actually another issue that I ran into before you updated OpenFL recently (it works now), but I didn't post it cause I wasn't able to reproduce it in a sample game and I was intending on trying again later.

The issue was something with having fullscreen shaders while having anchored actors. The game would get slower and slower and slower until it became unplayable pretty quickly, and a giant black square would cover most of the screen. If I didn't anchor any actors the problem would never happen. I think it might have had something to do with "when drawing" blocks. I wasn't able to reproduce it in a sample game.

When you updated to the newest OpenFL, the problem seems to have totally disappeared.

Anyway, I thought I'd tell you just on the off-chance it's related to the stuff you're doing now, I didn't think it made sense to make a new thread since it's fixed now.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 06:57:06 pm by NobodyX »

Pages: 1

Details

• Reported
    September 07, 2017, 05:48:42 pm
  • Updated
    September 07, 2017, 06:53:54 pm

• View Status
    Public
  • Type
    Bug
  • Status