Bug Issue: List of issues when upgrading from 3.4.0 (Build 9300) to 3.5.0 (Build 9975) ...

Pages: 1 2

Vorens Studios

• Junior Stencyler
August 22, 2018, 05:45:50 am
Recently upgraded from 3.4.0 (Build 9300) to 3.5.0 (Build 9975) and found these problems while testing on Android devices:

• Most annoying issue that appeared in 3.5.0 is low framerate. Example: Scene is using 6 tile layers and 6 background layers and when the scene is completely empty, framerate is at 60 FPS. If I add just one tile from tileset, framerate will drop to ~30 FPS. I removed that tile and tested it again with multiple actors on screen with different physics and the framerate remained at 60 FPS. I also noticed if the actor was moving or there was some kind of motion (setting x or y speed), it will drop back to ~30 FPS.
    Another instance with low framerate that I noticed is within "When Drawing" event. I have multiple blocks of draw text that use y value from number attribute that is changing (change Y to -1000 over 60 sec using None). Example: 1st draw text has y value set to Y + 20, another one to Y + 30, etc. Scene has around 30 draw text blocks and only use 2 layers but the framerate still drops to ~20 FPS.
  • Preloader loading bar is always showing on game startup for a couple of seconds and it appears to be empty (not moving). This was not the case on version 3.4.0 as it went straight to the first scene without showing it.
  • Another issue I noticed were choppy transitions between different scenes. I'm not sure if this is related to the 1st issue, but I know that this didn't happen on 3.4.0.

I will provide more information if necessary.

Vorens Studios

• Junior Stencyler
February 16, 2019, 01:13:34 am
That's unfortunate. I have multiple layers because of parallax. In the current platformer game I'm working on there are separate repeating backgrounds for bushes, trees, mountains, clouds etc. All with parallax effect. Single image background won't be ideal for this and other games that I'm working on.

I will contact OpenFL developers to report this and to see if there is any upcoming fix.

Vorens Studios

• Junior Stencyler
March 05, 2019, 02:58:24 am
I updated to version 4.0.1 and did some more testing. I noticed that the background layers alone are not causing low framerates. In issue 4 scene, it turned out that the low FPS caused by the drawing event and not by the placed tile. I disabled drawing block and placed around 50 tiles on the scene with all those layers and the framerate was at 60 FPS. In issue 3  scene, however, there is no drawing block and the low framerate only occurs when the actor is moving. It appears that drawing and moving on top of background layers are causing low framerates.

Do you think that this is still related to the background layers and OpenFL? Do you think there is anything to do? It's strange that I haven't seen any post about this issue.

Issue 3 scene: 59 FPS while the actor is moving (removed background layers).
Issue 4 scene. 60 FPS on all devices with repeating background + tiles while Drawing event is turned off.

rob1221

• Master Stencyler
March 05, 2019, 05:18:20 am
Do you think that this is still related to the background layers and OpenFL?
I think any large image stacking would produce the problem, not just backgrounds.

Do you think there is anything to do?
Use smaller images, less images, or use lower scales and lose some quality.

It's strange that I haven't seen any post about this issue.
There have been many posts about Android performance, so it's possible a few of those relate to this issue.  I don't think it's common to use several repeating backgrounds though.

candycornown

• Junior Stencyler
October 29, 2019, 02:10:48 pm
Can anyone with the newest build of Stencyl test this and check if the problem still persists?
Or is there any way to test on my own without purchasing a license?

Justin

• Master Stencyler
October 29, 2019, 04:12:00 pm
We'll try to release a public beta soon.

candycornown

• Junior Stencyler
October 30, 2019, 08:03:13 am
We'll try to release a public beta soon.

Cool, thanks

Pages: 1 2

Details

• Reported
    August 22, 2018, 05:45:50 am
  • Updated
    October 30, 2019, 08:03:13 am

• View Status
    Public
  • Type
    Bug
  • Status
    New
  • Priority
    Normal
  • Version
    Stencyl 3.5
  • Fixed in
    (none)
  • Assigned to
    (none)
  • Category
    Compiling/Testing Games

Tags

Attachments

* Issues on Android.stencyl (1048.87 kB - downloaded 136 times.)
* ScrollingBitmap.hx (4.3 kB - downloaded 141 times.)