Suggestion Issue: Builds using Xcode 10.1 don't fill the screen on new iPad Pros

Pages: 1 2

suitcasenuke

• Subscriber - Stencyl Studio
November 08, 2018, 02:38:36 am
So Apple just released new, full screen 11" and 12.9" iPads that we will need to support. Right now a build just centers on the screen using the old iPad screen size, leaving black space around the edges similar to how games were treated on the iPhone X when it was released.

I suppose we'll also need the new devices added to the block drop downs as well.

Thanks!

Justin

• Master Stencyler
November 11, 2018, 01:53:11 am
Only the 11'' device is new, right? There were two previous generations of the 12.9'' iPad Pro with the same resolution, as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:53:42 am by Justin »

suitcasenuke

November 11, 2018, 02:35:31 am
Yeah that’s correct, but the new 12.9 device is also a full screen one. I’m not sure if that means anything different  for Stencyl.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
November 11, 2018, 02:37:18 am
So the game looks fine on previous 12.9'' devices but not the new one?

suitcasenuke

November 11, 2018, 03:07:08 am
I suspect that it might not, but thinking it over it might be fine. I'm gonna try a simulator test and report back. I only have the new 11" device.

suitcasenuke

November 11, 2018, 05:40:22 am
Strange, I get this error when trying to use the new 12.9 sim:
Device type "com.apple.CoreSimulator.SimDeviceType.iPad-Pro-(12.9-inch)-(3rd-generation)"

But, the old and new 12.9 do have the same screen resolutions. Perhaps the new ones will be fine? The 11 is a new screen res though.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
November 26, 2018, 12:07:38 am
b10109 should allow the newer device screen sizes to work, and should fix the problem with testing on the simulator in the last post.

The splash screens are a little bit different now. Up to two images can be provided. One for all iPhones, one for all iPads. You can choose how the image is scaled. The "no scaling" and "scale to fit fullscreen" options may result in parts of the image being cut off on different devices.

A "generate template" feature is available that creates an image that matches the resolution of the largest device of that class (right now, that's the iPad 12.9-inch and iPhone Xs Max), as well as your chosen orientation, and if applicable given your current launch screen scale mode, it shows a safe zone in the center.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
November 26, 2018, 12:09:47 am
Please test and let me know if it's all working out for you. You can open the generated project in Xcode and preview the "Resources/splash.storyboard" file to confirm how it'll look on different devices.

suitcasenuke

November 26, 2018, 02:35:06 am
Awesome! I’ll try it today and report back. Thanks!

New attachment added by suitcasenuke - November 26, 2018, 10:37:03 am

New attachment added by suitcasenuke - November 26, 2018, 10:37:22 am

New attachment added by suitcasenuke - November 26, 2018, 10:38:25 am

New attachment added by suitcasenuke - November 26, 2018, 10:48:06 am

suitcasenuke

November 26, 2018, 11:00:05 am
So some initial findings. I'm using Test Flight to test with the new iPad (I'm waiting for a USB-C to USB-A cord in the mail). Application Loader gave me and error saying, "Launch storyboard not found". I've attached a screen of the error as well.

In Xcode, it looks like the 3x iPad splash is missing? Also, under the Launch Images, a couple the splashes have warnings. I've attached screens of those as well. Both warnings are the same in the Launch Images one. It just looks like those landscape images are portrait for some reason.

I tried the game in the new 12.9 sim, and the fills the screen outside of maybe a pixel on the right side. I attached a screen illustrating that. The blue sky is just a background colour and you'll notice the clouds over tiny sliver of black as well.

Hope that helps! Thanks for the assistance.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
November 26, 2018, 05:57:00 pm
Looks like I need to make a minor edit to fix the first issue you mentioned.

The 3x splash for iPad isn't generated because existing iPads only use up to the 2x scale. Launch Images are no longer used and should be ignored.

Stencyl attempts to set the new set of splash images automatically based on your old images. The iPad splash in particular should simply be copied from your previously set iPad splash image. Perhaps it's messing up in the process?

For the problem with the background not being filled in all the way, this is in-game and not your splash screen, right?

Justin

• Master Stencyler
November 26, 2018, 06:10:09 pm
For the first error, you should be able to fix it on your end by going to [stencyl]/plaf/haxe/lib/lime/lime/templates/ios/{{app.file}}/{{app.file}}-Info.plist and finding the text ".storyboard" and deleting it.

suitcasenuke

November 27, 2018, 03:44:14 am
Ahh okay, I'll try deleting that .storyboard text for now. As for the background problem, yeah that's in-game and not the splash. It's present on every scene - just that little bit on the right not filling the screen with whatever background colour I use within the scene properties.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
November 28, 2018, 08:43:08 am
I made the change I mentioned in b10112, so Application Loader shouldn't complain anymore.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
November 28, 2018, 08:44:32 am
I believe the only remaining issue here is that the background color doesn't cover the whole screen on some devices, right?

suitcasenuke

November 28, 2018, 08:55:51 am
Yup! That's the only issue.

EDIT: Just quickly confirming App Loader quit complaining.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:07:00 am by suitcasenuke »

Justin

• Master Stencyler
November 28, 2018, 07:17:46 pm
Can you go to [stencyl]/plaf/haxe/lib/stencyl/1,00/Universal.hx, and replace lines 317-327 with this? Then let me know if the missing column of pixels is still an issue, or if you notice anything else that's off.

Code: [Select]
logicalWidth = Config.stageWidth;
logicalHeight = Config.stageHeight;

if(isFullScreen && (Config.scaleMode == ScaleMode.SCALE_TO_FIT_FULLSCREEN || Config.scaleMode == ScaleMode.FULLSCREEN))
{
logicalWidth = (windowWidth / scaleX) / Engine.SCALE;
logicalHeight = (windowHeight / scaleY) / Engine.SCALE;

//bring logical size to the nearest full pixel of the desired value.

if(Std.int(logicalWidth) != logicalWidth || Std.int(logicalHeight) != logicalHeight)
{
logicalWidth = Std.int(logicalWidth);
logicalHeight = Std.int(logicalHeight);

scaleX = windowWidth / Engine.SCALE / logicalWidth;
scaleY = windowHeight / Engine.SCALE / logicalHeight;
}
}

Engine.screenScaleX = scaleX;
Engine.screenScaleY = scaleY;

Original:
Code: [Select]
Engine.screenScaleX = scaleX;
Engine.screenScaleY = scaleY;

logicalWidth = Config.stageWidth;
logicalHeight = Config.stageHeight;

if(isFullScreen && (Config.scaleMode == ScaleMode.SCALE_TO_FIT_FULLSCREEN || Config.scaleMode == ScaleMode.FULLSCREEN))
{
logicalWidth += (windowWidth / scaleX - scaledStageWidth) / Engine.SCALE;
logicalHeight += (windowHeight / scaleY - scaledStageHeight) / Engine.SCALE;
}

Pages: 1 2

Details

• Reported
    November 08, 2018, 02:38:36 am
  • Updated
    November 29, 2018, 09:35:05 am

• View Status
    Public
  • Type
    Suggestion
  • Status
    Resolved
  • Priority
    Normal
  • Version
    Stencyl 3.5, 3.5.0 beta 1
  • Fixed in
    (none)
  • Assigned to
    Justin
  • Category
    Compiling/Testing Games

Tags

Attachments

* Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 12.10.40 PM.png (250.5 kB, 1393x953 - viewed 40 times.)

* Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 12.01.30 PM.png (54.18 kB, 693x414 - viewed 41 times.)

* Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 12.02.43 PM.png (182.42 kB, 1383x952 - viewed 41 times.)

* Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 1.40.46 PM.png (92.64 kB, 740x953 - viewed 41 times.)