Bug Issue: z-ordering problems in new version

Pages: 1

j6860

• Level 1 Stencyler
January 21, 2019, 01:53:13 pm
I have been  having a lot of problems with z-ordering that I was not experiencing in the previous version (3.4).  Z-order operations sometimes work and sometimes don't.  I have not been able to isolate anything that seems to trigger these problems.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
February 14, 2019, 08:06:36 pm
If you can provide a sample game with z-ordering operations not working as expected, that would help us determine the problem here.
  • Status changed from New to Need Info

j6860

• Level 1 Stencyler
February 15, 2019, 12:57:55 pm
With earlier versions of Stencyl I had problems where an actor would be moved to the front when I told it to move to the back.  Effectively all z-moves were to the front.  My solution was to move all actors of a certain type to the front, then actors of another type to the front so that the first type would be behind it.  I would repeat this until all actor types were in the order I wanted.  This is done in scene behavior “all scenes”/ event “commands”/ section “z-order” (under the large comment block that says “z-order”).  It worked fine in Stencyl 3.4 but in 4.0 it doesn’t work with certain things.  In the attached game, scene “grocery store” (in the “1-early” scene folder) has this problem.  NPC actors have cell phone actors which are supposed to move in front of them but some stay in back.  One workaround I found for this scene was to delete ALL the actors in a scene and reenter them from scratch, which suggests that something in the preexisting actors is not completely compatible with the new Stencyl version.  The game I posted is a backup from before I used this workaround.

j6860

• Level 1 Stencyler
February 15, 2019, 12:59:32 pm
The website is not allowing me to attach the game because it's too big.  I'll put it on Google drive and post the link.

rob1221

• Master Stencyler
February 15, 2019, 01:32:46 pm
Are the cell phones the only ones not appearing in the right Z-order?  I see that you're doing an extra attribute check there so maybe "_front" is false when it shouldn't be?

j6860

• Level 1 Stencyler
February 15, 2019, 02:53:35 pm
There were some cell phone actors that are supposed to be in back.  The boolean attribute "front" refers to which sprite to show- front or back.  If the front of the phone is showing it should be in back but by default the back is showing so it should be in front.  It worked fine before I switched to version 5.0.

j6860

• Level 1 Stencyler
February 15, 2019, 02:56:33 pm
There were other actors also having z-problems, not just the phones.  The eyeball enemies have irises that are separate actors used for a jiggle effect.  Sometimes they would appear in back even though the 'all scenes' scene behavior should have moved them in front of all enemies.  Again, worked fine before switching to v. 4.0.  (did I say 5.0 in the previous post? I meant 4.0)

rob1221

• Master Stencyler
February 15, 2019, 03:43:47 pm
Fixed in b10285.  Sending an actor to the front was not doing anything on the top layer.  While there is a separate block for Z-order that you could have used, it makes sense that "send to front" sends the actor to the front of the Z-order even if already on the top layer.  The same will also apply to "send to back".
  • Status changed from Need Info to Resolved
  • Issue Assigned from (none) to rob1221

Pages: 1

Details

• Reported
    January 21, 2019, 01:53:13 pm
  • Updated
    February 15, 2019, 03:43:47 pm

• View Status
    Public
  • Type
    Bug