Bug Issue: Possible Collision Physics Bug Found in Engine

Pages: 1

Mineat

• Level 3 Stencyler
April 03, 2019, 12:19:17 am
In my main game, the collision rarely triggers any death animations or deaths to the actors, but in the sample game the actors die more often. Both games show that the engine performs very badly over time. What is going on?

Run Scene 1 and play it to see it. I'll upload the sample game as an attachment so look at "Test Scene 1" if you got it.
Revisited this and found a major solution that everyone has to know. It is at the bottom!!!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 01:19:38 am by Mineat »

New attachment added by Mineat - April 03, 2019, 12:19:48 am

Mineat

• Level 3 Stencyler
May 19, 2019, 12:23:14 am
I now found out that the sensors work. I had set all of the enemies' collision vectors to sensors, but the collision code works more often now, just only effecting the simple actors faster since my game has simple physics.

Edit: In the sample game, if I try that, they just won't die.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:55:25 am by Mineat »

New attachment added by Mineat - May 19, 2019, 12:57:08 am

Mineat

• Level 3 Stencyler
May 25, 2019, 10:03:07 pm
I took out the 'Explode on Death' and 'Die on Collision' behaviors from the bullet actor in the sample game and they started dying. What happened with those two behaviors?

Edit: My problem is solved, but something is wrong with that.
Skip the 'Explode on Death' behavior, there may be a collision response bug regarding death behaviors/events that use collision.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 10:09:01 pm by Mineat »

Issue updated by Mineat - May 25, 2019, 10:10:47 pm
  • Issue renamed from "Collision Physics in Engine Performs Very Badly Over Time" to "Possible Collision Physics Bug Found in Engine"
  • Category changed from (none) to Engine

Mineat

• Level 3 Stencyler
May 27, 2019, 05:37:40 pm
I fixed it to when the actor with the behavior collides it will kill any actor that shares the behavior and it works. But one thing that would remain is that the collision system is probably based on which actor collides or is meant to collide first, which is unpredictable...

Justin

• Master Stencyler
June 27, 2019, 05:25:16 pm
Unless I'm mistaken, there wasn't any bug in Stencyl here, right? Closing this, but let me know if I'm wrong.
  • Status changed from New to Closed

Mineat

• Level 3 Stencyler
February 29, 2020, 11:57:42 pm
Okay I made two scenes in my sample game: the first problematic one with sensor actors which was temporarily solved and the 2D platformer physics one with solid collision vectors. I have the sensor actor scene as my starting scene and when I test the other one in in the game, the actors from the game's main starting scene were in there without them being put in it.

Edit: Test Scenes 1 and 3 are affected.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 07:06:05 pm by Mineat »

New attachment added by Mineat - March 01, 2020, 06:53:13 pm

Mineat

• Level 3 Stencyler
July 25, 2020, 11:18:50 am
I got rid of the problematic scene. Also, I removed unused code from the shooting actors' behaviors.

Mineat

• Level 3 Stencyler
October 03, 2020, 10:00:23 pm
I'm revisiting the oldest problem in this thread. I have a spray gun actor shooting bullet actors that are having the 'Die on Collision' and 'Explode on Death' behaviors and enemy actors that have a 'Die on Collision with Actor Type behavior set to collide with the bullet actors. I removed the if statement code blocks that check for the behaviors of other actors, as I was confirming that I might have been overdoing my behavior rewrites a lot for it  to work the first time and ran the compile. The bullets died and the explosion animated, but the enemy didn't die.

Is this really a bug, or when it worked the first time thanks to a workaround did I make a memory leak? It's like the bullet actor wasn't detected by the enemy actor despite all coding and when the weapon actor shot it!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 10:29:31 pm by Mineat »

Mineat

• Level 3 Stencyler
October 06, 2020, 01:16:56 am
Note to self: For two actors colliding, make sure that one has no collision code and the other with the most prevalent collision code mean for both it and the other while keeping all other trigger code for both actors' collisions in separate behaviors for them!

All of my enemies in my game Fly Hunter have been made and responding this way all along, starting with the demo's release!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 01:22:31 am by Mineat »

Pages: 1

Details

• Reported
    April 03, 2019, 12:19:17 am
  • Updated
    October 06, 2020, 01:16:56 am

• View Status
    Public
  • Type
    Bug
  • Status
    Closed
  • Priority
    Normal
  • Version
    (none)
  • Fixed in
    (none)
  • Assigned to
    (none)
  • Category
    Engine

Tags

Attachments

* Sample Game 1.zip (1295.21 kB - downloaded 300 times.)
* Sample Game 1.zip (1303.26 kB - downloaded 273 times.)
* New Sample Game 1.zip (1045.79 kB - downloaded 65 times.)