Suggestion Issue: Support for APK Expansion Files

Pages: 1

designpeg

• Subscriber - Stencyl Studio
August 05, 2019, 01:45:40 am
It would be great if Stencyl could could compile games ready for the playstore with an apk with extension file support. I've tried to find a way of doing it myself, it seems to be something that's already been done with openFL - https://github.com/thomasuster/android-expansion but unfortunately it's outside my skill set!

I've just finished converting a game that I released on ios without any issues, but to get it below 100mb for the playstore, I ended up throwing away all resolutions execept x1 and x2 which is a real shame ans I know that anyone with a newer android tablet with a decent resolution is going to get a really sub optimal experience compared to the pin sharp detail that ipad users will get.

yoplalala

August 14, 2019, 10:25:14 am
You can save about 10 megas this way
do a version with the flag in the openfl setting
<architecture name="arm64" exclude="armv7" if="android" />
and do another version
<architecture name="armv7" exclude="arm64" if="android" />
You have now 2 apks with 32bits and 64 bits separated instead of one apk with both. You can upload them the 2 apks on the google play store.

if stencyl cannot do the extension support, maybe they can compress the images the first time the program launches ( Im sure there's a stencyl alternative that does that, don't remember which) so that you need only 4X ?

designpeg

September 10, 2019, 09:00:25 am
Hi Yoplalala, that's great advice thanks. I've just seen FMStudioGameDev discussing this in the suggestion section too. I ended up just using x2 graphics and recompressing all my audio to really low quality for Android, (i'd already compressed my images as far as I could).

FMStudioGameDev

September 11, 2019, 12:40:37 am
Hi Yoplalala, that's great advice thanks. I've just seen FMStudioGameDev discussing this in the suggestion section too. I ended up just using x2 graphics and recompressing all my audio to really low quality for Android, (i'd already compressed my images as far as I could).
I suggest you to try to export to .aab (limit with .aab is 500mb and is Google's favorite format now,)
After a few tweaks it's certainly doable and you don't have to sacrifice quality.
Follow the instruction by ogianolmin here: http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/index.php?topic=58765.msg308841#msg308841

Pages: 1

Details

• Reported
    August 05, 2019, 01:45:40 am
  • Updated
    September 11, 2019, 12:40:37 am

• View Status
    Public
  • Type
    Suggestion
  • Status
    New