Bug Issue: [Mac] Fonts are created with different spacing than before (and than on windows)

Pages: 1

FMStudioGameDev

• Subscriber - Stencyl Studio
October 08, 2019, 07:24:03 am
I cannot say exactly when this started but somewhere between b10318 and b10417 fonts started to be created completely differently.
For example some of them have much wider spacing, some more narrow, other are less sharp, some looks bold even if  are set as normal. Changes are not consistent so there's no way to override using for example the "set spacing block" (as I told some are wider some are more narrow)
This happens only on Mac for every target, while on Windows I didn't notice this issue.
Will attach some screenshots.

New attachment added by FMStudioGameDev - October 08, 2019, 08:06:45 am

Issue updated by Justin - December 08, 2019, 06:00:51 pm
  • Tags added: 4.1.0

Bombini

• Subscriber - Stencyl Indie
December 11, 2019, 11:25:53 pm
Hi,
i notice the same in Windows (for Desktop).
Seems like the spacing changed and some characters are cut off.

Using build b10479 (fonts look cut off/streched):

Using build b10155 (fonts look fine):

Will there be an update to this? This makes my game unplayable in some regard (when using more text) plus it looks ugly.

Cheers!

FMStudioGameDev

• Subscriber - Stencyl Studio
December 13, 2019, 06:02:03 am
Yeah noticed this happens on windows as well now, and for any target. The only workaround I found is to open the project with the older build and save fonts, save game and close. then open the same project with the most recent build and do not touch fonts anymore. Game now should display fonts as it used to do under the old build. Beware, if you make any changes to fonts or clean project Stencyl will rebuild the font the "ugly" way

Luyren

• Master Stencyler
December 13, 2019, 06:15:37 pm
b10479, Windows 10
I ran some tests, and there are discrepancies if I draw an entire text onto an image and if I draw each letter individually, using the width of the previous letter to calculate the position of the next.

I think this might be related, getting the width of a string and adding the width of each character in that string not matching.

Attached sample game: all code is in the events of Scene1. The first text draws the entire phrase in one block. The second text loops through the length of the text and draw each line individually. The font used I created using the font editor.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 06:18:51 pm by Luyren »

New attachment added by Luyren - December 13, 2019, 06:15:49 pm

Justin

• Master Stencyler
December 17, 2019, 01:15:47 am
Here's the status on this one so far.

Mac: Haven't looked into this yet.

Windows: It turns out the difference here was caused in some part by Java's update to FreeType's v40 interpreter. It made fonts not display properly in some parts of Stencyl, so I made us use the older v35. This fixed the interface, but it made the generation of BitmapFonts from .ttf files break a little bit. Perhaps the backing Java code has, in some ways, been updated to expect v40.

Luyren's Issue: I mentioned this to him on Discord, but this is expected behavior. There's a font-spacing property that can be set to change how much space is added between each character.

irock

• Master Stencyler
February 13, 2020, 12:54:02 am
I think there were multiple issues reported in this thread, but I'm having the same one as Bombini. When I compiled my game in the latest build, my text in-engine suddenly had an extra pixel of padding between characters that wasn't present in past builds.

This is present regardless of whether text is shown using the image API or drawing.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 12:57:13 am by irock »

irock

• Master Stencyler
February 13, 2020, 01:10:18 am
Apparently this issue can be fixed by going into your bitmap font, clicking on "Edit Properties", then "Apply Changes", then re-saving your font. The letter spacing will then return to normal.

Bombini

• Subscriber - Stencyl Indie
February 17, 2020, 05:55:32 am
I dont use bitmap fonts though...maybe i need to set it up if it does not get fixed.

Pages: 1

Details

• Reported
    October 08, 2019, 07:24:03 am
  • Updated
    February 17, 2020, 05:55:32 am

• View Status
    Public
  • Type
    Bug
  • Status
    New
  • Priority
    Normal
  • Version
    Stencyl 3.5, 3.5.0 beta 1
  • Fixed in
    (none)
  • Assigned to
    (none)
  • Category
    Font Editor

Tags

Attachments

* fontBug.png (1191.18 kB, 1747x1396 - viewed 332 times.)
* Fonts Test.stencyl (669.63 kB - downloaded 65 times.)