Bug Issue: HTML5 Memory Leak Investigation

Pages: 1

Imminent Death

• Junior Stencyler
August 01, 2020, 08:48:35 pm
I just conducted a little experiment on memory leaks in HTML5 and recorded my findings in a post that I'll link below, but in summary it looks like these memory leaks are only happening in Firefox (at least for me), and they happen because Firefox doesn't get rid of the extra memory. I've tested in Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge, and all of them have been able to stay consistently around the same amount of memory usage, while Firefox builds it up over time.

Drawing text or boxes (or anything, really) is mainly what causes memory to increase. Firefox doesn't ever release the memory so it builds up slowly anyways, but the more drawing stuff going on, the faster the memory increases.

Here is the full post. It has data that I gathered from 2 of my games:
https://imminentdeath.newgrounds.com/news/post/1109234

I'm not sure if I should be putting this in an already existing thread because there are several of them, so I just decided to make a new one. I hope this information can be helpful.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 08:50:40 pm by Imminent Death »

Justin

• Master Stencyler
August 01, 2020, 11:37:49 pm
Thank you! I'm marking this as a duplicate of #1429: HTML5 Memory Leak When Drawing, but I've added a link back to this post for the info.
  • Tags added: html5
  • Status changed from New to Duplicate

Pages: 1

Details

• Reported
    August 01, 2020, 08:48:35 pm
  • Updated
    August 01, 2020, 11:37:49 pm

• View Status
    Public
  • Type
    Bug