Suggestion Issue: Treat Categories of game attributes as Arrays

Pages: 1

dtishin

• Subscriber - Stencyl Indie
November 18, 2020, 03:09:35 pm
Stencyl uses Categories to group Game attributes.
Currently this feature is purely cosmetic and doesn't allow user any in-code operations with the Categories.
I suggest adding the following block: "For each game attribute in Category [select Category]" which would function as other similar blocks ("for each actor of type", "for each item in list", etc)

This will be useful for projects that have a lot of global data that needs to be treated differently by the system.
E.g. I need to enable saving for game attributes of certain categories, and disable saving for game attributes of other categories. Currently I have to create separate "List" game attributes that contain game attribute names for each category. This is a lot of manual work and is prone to human error.

Luyren

• Master Stencyler
November 19, 2020, 10:06:52 am
Why not use a map game attribute in place of the "categories"?

dtishin

• Subscriber - Stencyl Indie
November 21, 2020, 04:21:52 pm
Why not use a map game attribute in place of the "categories"?
I don't think I understand you correctly Luyren. Let me clarify so that we're on the same page. 
  • In my turn-based strategy I have game attribute Categories like: Hero classes, Character stats, Artifacts,  Reference tables, and many others.
    I use Categories to organise my game attributes because I have hundreds of them.
  • Each Category contains game attributes of a specific type. E.g. "Character stats" contains individual hashmaps for each stat type I have in my game that specify max value, min value, levelup increment value etc.
  • Currently, if I need to perform operations on sets of game attributes, not on an individual game attribute, I have to create a "List" game attribute for each Category, copypaste each relevant game attribute name into it, and make sure I remember to update it any time I add a new game attribute or change its Category. This is a lot of redundant work and potential for error.

Pages: 1

Details

• Reported
    November 18, 2020, 03:09:35 pm
  • Updated
    November 21, 2020, 04:21:52 pm

• View Status
    Public
  • Type
    Suggestion
  • Status
    New