Suggestion Issue: Import and Exporting scenes

Pages: 1

Donni11

• Subscriber - Stencyl Indie
August 01, 2016, 10:59:16 am
Suggestion: the ability in Stencyl that users can export scenes as recourses and import them.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:19:49 pm by Donni11 »

Issue updated by Donni11 - August 01, 2016, 01:19:49 pm
  • Issue renamed from "Improt and Exporting scenes" to "Import and Exporting scenes"

danielle53

August 02, 2016, 04:05:53 am
+2million

Donni11

September 04, 2016, 09:33:39 am
@Justin, Is this operation even possible to do in Stencyl ?
  • Category changed from (none) to Dashboard

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 04, 2016, 11:57:11 am
No, importing and exporting scenes hasn't ever been a feature.

Donni11

September 04, 2016, 12:10:08 pm
I mean for the future. Is it possible to implement this?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 12:10:23 pm by Donni11 »

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 04, 2016, 12:28:31 pm
It's possible, but there's a good deal more to consider than there is for any other resource type in Stencyl.

yoplalala

• Subscriber - Stencyl Studio
September 05, 2016, 05:01:31 am
Maybe for now , just export the same content as an exported behaviour should be enough.

I think it would be quite nice . Everything that improves team working is quite nice :)

danielle53

September 07, 2016, 06:40:55 am
It doesn't need to be perfect..
It is just to avoid to do it all by hand .. please ..

anything would be better than

to do it manually

or to take the risk to have 2 Stencyl instances.

I am really sure that what Yoplala is asking for it is not a big deal, I am trying a mixed method right now but it is still time consuming.

I am considering to systematically present a scene as an empty scene attached to a friendly behaviour.

Is there any drawbacks ? until now I have not encounter any issue ..

But anyway when you have more than one hundred scenes, a little bit of help is needed to stay calm.

I think, sorry to tell, it's really a major default of Stencyl.

Build a game is team effort.

So many different competencies are required, no ?  May be I haven't enough to start with but ..
it remains that sharing ideas, debugging, translating   should have been facilitate from the start

Imagine the work of a  teacher if he or she wanted introduced Stencyl as an educational tool !

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 07, 2016, 06:55:39 am
I'm also not completely sure what yoplalala is asking for.

If we presume scene importing/exporting to only be done between team members, I guess that could make it a feasible task. This way we can assume that all actor types, all backgrounds, all tilesets, and all scene behaviors referenced in the scene already exist in the game the scene is being imported into.

Donni11

September 07, 2016, 10:50:32 am
How about if it works like this: When a user exports a scene, Stencyl extracts all the behaviors, actors,  tiles, backgrounds, and their positions into one special Scene code file/folder. When the special Scene code file is imported, Stencyl first creates all the new actors, tile,  backgrounds and behaviors into the game. Then using the positions data, creates the scene.

Its like exporting actors, tile,  backgrounds and behaviors, just all at once. The new code Stencyl developers have to write is exporting all actors, tile,  backgrounds and behaviors, (associated with the scene) at one shot. And store positions data.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 07, 2016, 11:10:28 am
That's why I said there's a great deal more to consider for scenes than any other type of resource, and if that's what you're looking for, you probably won't see the feature any time soon. At that point, exporting a scene is almost like exporting an entire game.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 11:11:01 am by Justin »

Issue updated by Justin - July 10, 2018, 10:32:16 pm
  • Tags added: resources

Pages: 1

Details

• Reported
    August 01, 2016, 10:59:16 am
  • Updated
    July 10, 2018, 10:32:16 pm

• View Status
    Public
  • Type