Bug Issue: Scenes and Actors overwriting each other.

Pages: 1

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 07, 2016, 04:23:28 am
Very strange and concerning bug...  I opened a project and a test run failed because an attribute didnt exist on an actor I havent touched in months.  After investigating the actor, all of the events I had been working on in a scene from my last save were now the only events on this actor.  The scene still has the identical events.  The actor failed for missing an attribute in the actor's event logic that is from the original scene.  Even if I had accidentally deleted all events, and copy and pasted over the scene events to this actor, the attribute would have been automatically created on the actor.  The attribute was then automatically removed from the actor after closing and reopening Stencyl, but the rest of the logic has still overriden the actor's original logic.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 07, 2016, 04:23:42 am
Just noticed that the actor kept its original events, but replaced all of the logic in them.  The scene had a "when updating" that copied all logic to the actor's "when drawing" block.  In fact, "Drawing" now shows "do every x second" block instead of "drawing" even though the event is still drawing type.  See attached screenshot.  Worried the whole game might be corrupt.

http://community.stencyl.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=47657.0;attach=49846;image
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:24:03 am by Justin »

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 07, 2016, 04:24:54 am
---later---

I've had this happen randomly two occasions now...  On a random build, a scene will write its files as ActorEvents_xx.hx,  ActorEvents_xx.design, and write the scene properties in list.xml as an actor.  The scene XX.scn file will stay until you close and reopen stencyl.  The first time this happened it overwrote an actor with the same number (scene35 overwrote actor35).  This time I got lucky and the scene number was between actor numbers.

The exact scenario:  Scene 36 files were erased, and became ActorEvents_36.hx,  and ActorEvents_36.design.  The headers of the files had actor methods, but the rest of the logic was the original scene logic.  List.xml had actor properties for the scene (<snippet actorid="36" attachedevent="true" class="scripts.ActorEvents_36" classname="scripts.ActorEvents_36" desc="Actor Specific Events", etc.)

I managed to hack everything back together as a scene with text edits, but this is really concerning moving forward.

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 07, 2016, 04:27:08 am
I've been stuck on this problem since May.  It's hard to describe the issue, but my game keeps writing actor and scene .hx files out of order, and often overwriting other actors and scenes.  Sometimes it will even mix and match, i.e. an actor gets written as a scene and vice versa.  Here is an example of the behavior:  I create a new scene, which is sceneevents_36.hx in the index.  And it is...until I close the game.  The next time I open there is now an actorevents_36.hx that didnt exist before, with all of the scene logic inside, and sceneevents_36.hx is gone.  I've been partially surviving by copying over old files back in place, but now the problem has gotten even worse.  I just had an actor retain all of its events in the design view, however they are empty.  In fact you don't even get a block view when you select the event names.  The actor file is still there, but all of the logic has been erased from it.

I'm about to hit my second year on this game in October.  The only copy of the game I feel mostly confident about being healthy is from November 2015.  Every time I pull a copy after that I eventually get the errors when creating new actors and scenes.  Somewhere along the way some indexing got really screwed up, and I'm just not savvy enough to figure out how to permanently fix it and get back on track.  I really don't want to lose a year's worth of work, I would appreciate it soooo much if you could even point me in the right direction to getting the game files rebuilt solidly. 

Link to game: [ . . . ]
This copy is "healthy"...  I have bandaided it by manually overwriting files and editing the list.xml.  It should be easy to break, it usually happens when creating a new actor, a new scene, or making a copy of a scene.  Save and close the game, and it likely won't build the next time you try to run.

Stencyl Build 9170 (I tried several versions when the problem started, and then stopped upgrading because I feared patching over this might actually make it more corrupt)

Justin

• Master Stencyler
September 07, 2016, 04:30:53 am
@Wahmpire, I noticed quite a bit of the "Running Low on Free Memory" warning in your logs. Is that still an issue currently? If so, how much memory do you have allocated to Stencyl? I'm wondering if reducing my memory allocation might help me reproduce the issue somehow.

Issue updated by Justin - September 07, 2016, 06:23:02 am
  • View Status changed from Private to Public

Issue updated by Justin - July 10, 2018, 10:32:20 pm
  • Tags added: resources

Issue updated by rob1221 - January 18, 2019, 12:41:18 pm
  • Status changed from New to Need Info

Pages: 1

Details

• Reported
    September 07, 2016, 04:23:10 am
  • Updated
    January 18, 2019, 12:41:18 pm