Stencyl 2.1 - (Released May 25th)

irock

Unless something has changed, that comes as a surprise to me - I might ask Justin about it since he mentioned something in this arena not too long ago.

The scene designer is explicitly implemented in a way that scene size / complexity is irrelevant.
As far as I know, it's been like that for a long time, if not forever. At least I know it was like that when working on The Binding Force in early 2011.
I tried a build from 2010 yesterday and I couldn't get the scene designer to slow down. There wasn't a flood fill tool so I couldn't fill the entire 100x100 scene, but I covered a lot of it over several layers and scrolling was really snappy. I can get the scrolling in a 100x100 scene to slow down in 2.0 really quickly just selecting multiple tiles from the palette and letting loose with the pencil tool over a single layer.

The column/row tools are consistently slow between the two though.

(Also if anyone with an old beta version of Stencyl wants to try this, back up your games folder)

captaincomic

Thank you for help Dizko. Usually I do this things exactly how you showed, when using tiles, but I need dynamical tiles, that is why I'm using actors in this case that is why I can't divide actors on parts.  But of cause I will find workaround for this, may be just hide this bad overlaping with a static tile placed behind.
You could also try the Layer Manager behavior from Forge. I think it orders the drawing position of the actor according to their y-position, but it could be modified to take the x-position into account as well.

Xietao

A tool To see a preview of Scene Behaviors
Free Time:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 13h
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday: 7h
Loving Linux...

1MrPaul1

Thank you Captaincomic for advise. I masked this area with tiles, it's simplest solution, and may be in future, as Jon said, we will have native solution of this

Justin

To those who mentioned lag in the scene designer: the issue should be fixed now, at least generally. (Certain operations, like adding/removing rows and columns when you have tens of thousands of tiles, will still take a while.)

Feel free to grab the latest build, and if the fix worked, let us know. Thanks!
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)

Miasmos Games

A tool To see a preview of Scene Behaviors
What do you mean by this? The scene's behaviours can be seen under the behaviours tab in the scene designer? If you're asking to see what they do, then that would be called "test game".

Cupcake Bounce

Xietao

What do you mean by this? The scene's behaviours can be seen under the behaviours tab in the scene designer? If you're asking to see what they do, then that would be called "test game".
Because when I use the block "when drawing" (I'm a "n00b with X and Y Position) so I need to see the Drawing Text Position ;) Sorry.
Free Time:
Loving Linux...

IceWave

Is there something else you'd like?

How about you can inspect the "Code" for any mistakes (with a button of course)
like if you made a mistake you did not see, it will let you know, or be able to choose to correct it automatically

Miasmos Games

Because when I use the block "when drawing" (I'm a "n00b with X and Y Position) so I need to see the Drawing Text Position ;) Sorry.
I can see how that would be useful, but in the end you'd basically need it to run the game so you could see the drawing under certain circumstances and then it would just be no different from pressing "test game". Just go with that for now ;)

Cupcake Bounce

sparkart

Does the inspector allow you to modify things like the actor's animation? That way you could give a "floor actor" multiple animations and change the animation in the designer and have a single floor actor.
Online Multiplayer Game for iOS:

Jon

Does the inspector allow you to modify things like the actor's animation? That way you could give a "floor actor" multiple animations and change the animation in the designer and have a single floor actor.

Interesting. I think we could do that in the future.

Xietao

Interesting. I think we could do that in the future.
Sounds great!!  :o
Free Time:
Loving Linux...

Rukiri

"inspector" looks pretty sweet.

Looking forward to the better designer.

Jon

Inspector is on its way but the visuals of the inspector need major work before it's announce-able. Hopefully this week.

bigleaphr

Great Engine, worked with it for a week, its awesome. Waitin on the unified engine to actually purchase.

Two Suggestions:

1. For Scene Switch Button and for Mute Button of Actor Behavior - One more option to add image on mouse hover (Mute would need 2 for both states)

2. This is a way out there suggestion. But for my games, hidden objects, which works awesome but for one thing. My list of objects to show the player to find is normally 50 total and they can see 5 at any given time. These objects are image outlines. Can we have some functions for addining all these objects to list, randomly picking one and deleting that one from the list. I tried to code this, gave up and just made it simple with a lot of hard coding. Something dynamic would be awesome.