You Are What you Eat- Platformer

Moonpig

You Are What You Eat will be a game where you start as a slug and and eat things to become them. Each thing will give you something to make you better temporarily. Things you may eat could include:
-Springs, making you bounce or jump higher
-Carrots, letting you see in the dark
-Ext.
It will be a basic platformer with simple graphics (I'm not the best pixel artist) and a fun twist.
Game story:
You're a slug to begin with and you want to work your way up to being a man. But the only way you think that you'll be able to do so, is become everything you eat!
Game play controls:
Standard controls, left and right arrow keys to move left and right and space to jump. Up to eat.

Thankyou, any ideas and improvements will be happily accepted.   

ICLHStudios

Could be quite fun depending on how deep you can get the eat/gain-ability mechanic (and you'd probably want to shoot for a balance of quantity of abilities and amount of use you can get out of them, as too much of either and not enough of the other could be quite disappointing). I would recommend a couple playthroughs of games with levels focused heavily on individual mechanics and unique gimmicks, such as Donkey Kong Country 2 or Metal Storm (NES) to help you get the most out of the abilities.

You may also (depending on how organized and analytical you are) find it helpful to list out everything you can do with each powerup and systematically make a list of every challenge and obstacle you can think of using it. It helps keep you from overusing or underusing challenges and ideas, and really fleshes out whether particular concept has as much potential as it seemed when you first thought of it.

I would also caution against using space as the primary jump button, particularly if you plan on any fast or precise platforming challenges, as space feels less responsive than most keys for often rapid-fire actions like jump (the standard in flash platforming seems to be "s" or "x"). And while on the subject, as a long time player of platformers with a keyboard, I think "down" would feel more natural for "eat" than "up" would. Neither one's really a big deal or anything, just a suggestion.
Go here to begin reading my fantasy webcomic, updated every Thursday: http://fav.me/d674ji2

Moonpig

Ok, Thanks for the advice, Ill start to change things now.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 09:37:55 am by Moonpig »

Sokky

It sounds like a very unique Kirby clone.
I want to try this.

MiRoMe

I like the gameplay mechanics you have suggested, I once thought of a similar idea where the player character integrated items dropped from enemies into their body to gain abilities.

PS Carrots can't see in the dark.  :P

Moonpig

I know, I wasn't being very clever then... :-\

UnknownNormals

Wait a minute. So, you have to work your way up to being a man, right? So... you have to eat a person. :/ Anyways, sounds cool,  can't wait to play this!

Squiddicus

This seems like a really good idea. Perhaps some bosses you eat could give you some permanent upgrades, although you don't have to eat them.
"Cave Johnson: All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?'
 Cave Johnson: Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
 ~ Cave Johnson Portal 2 text dump

UnknownNormals

I know, I wasn't being very clever then... :-\

Just eat a flashlight. Seriously though, can't wait!

coleislazy

Why stop at man? Why not become a god?!

Squiddicus

Why stop at man? Why not become a god?!

That might be a little much for a first.
"Cave Johnson: All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?'
 Cave Johnson: Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
 ~ Cave Johnson Portal 2 text dump

chaosoul

I see a few problems. You wanna be human but whats stopping you from eating one? size difference? location? etc? What if you eat a projectile or a one time thing: for example a bomb you cant just keep exploding and once you explode what are u now? a smoke cloud? how about bullets u can launch yourself once but then wat? I love the concept and I was thinking of a similar thing. I hope you make into a game soon I would love to play it. and the whole thing about becoming a god after a human seems good. Not really hard to me for a beginner considering all you have to do is add more levels then add a harder boss stage for the GOD.
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS

mastertetris

The only other online game I can think of with a game mechanic that is similar is zeebarf's the visitor or the visitor: camp happy.

philandy

This sounds fun. This would be an awesome pixel style game and reminds me of that game about the robot looking for kitty.

How about you go into like a 5 second super mode when you eat something, but gain a "1 pixel" perma boost, as you truly become what you eat? After you eat like 20 of similar things, you get that equipment or look.

I'd also like to see downgrades, like if you try to attack a sloth, it eats you instead (still you gain control over that thing), and you have to wait 5-10 secs to get pooped out. Final boss battle would be awesome as you would be trying to get eaten and walk/fly them into the lava they've been carefully avoiding, heh.

Also, why not copy the mechanic of the Doodle series? You not only have to eat one thing - you have to eat 2 things that work together.