Stencyl 3.0 - Design Once. Play Anywhere. (Soft Launched on Feb 20th)

SWATLLAMA

I've a few questions, as we all do.

When coding, what language will the coding environment take? Will we get a choice between AS3 and something else? Would it be something like Java to support Android? C++ to be awesome?
Will stencyl continue to use the same libraries that it does? Box2D/Flixel, if we don't  code in AS3?

When exporting to Android/iOS, will we have to remove all code-mode behaviors?
Any plans to market towards the retards who get Windows 8? :D Of course that'd probably come within 8 months at the earliest, if you guys even take the pain to do that.

Oh yeah, and what happened to plans with 2.5?
I posted this at 1:00:00 my timezone! WIN!
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

Ryusui

2.5 is now 3.0. It's that big, and it's coming that soon.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Manuel

Any plans to market towards the retards who get Windows 8? :D
Is there any plan to make you less of an elitist? (And if that wasn't enough, this isn't the first time that you insult an audience for using an OS you don't like.)
Game developers are the deities of the virtual realm.
Game Development Blog
Personal Tumblr
Personal Twitter

PrunePlum Games

Will stencyl's native language be a descendant of Java, C, or AS,  or is it a totally different thing?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 03:21:03 pm by PrunePlum Games »

SWATLLAMA

Is there any plan to make you less of an elitist? (And if that wasn't enough, this isn't the first time that you insult an audience for using an OS you don't like.)

Most of the people who will be using Windows 8 will not even know anything about it. They'll assume that it's a lot like 7. If they actually looked at what it is like, judging from the general opinion from people who have actually used it and responded to MS, most would hate it. Of course, some would like it.

@PrunePlum, nice name :D. Java is a descendant of C, so that was redundant. I'm not sure what AS is based off, but I'm thinking that if they used javascript, wouldn't it run pretty well on all platforms? Javascript is similar to AS, Android/iOS run it well, so do Windows, mac, and Linux.
Hail The Llama

Manuel

That still doesn't give you the right to call people "retarded" for using an OS you dislike. I didn't liked Windows 8 very much after using it for a while, since it seemed counter-productive for me, but I don't insult anyone that likes it.
I don't want to derail this much further, so if you want to debate with me about this, do it over PM if you wish.
Game developers are the deities of the virtual realm.
Game Development Blog
Personal Tumblr
Personal Twitter

Ryusui

Okay, let's add one more feature request to the list: the option to display the relevant logs on a compile error. As it stands, if a resource can't be transcoded for whatever reason (not in the specified location, an MP3 of the wrong sample rate, etc.), then from a user perspective, the compile silently fails - there's nothing to indicate what went wrong, and most newbies won't think to check the logs manually (which, on Windows 7 at least, are in a folder that's normally hidden and can only be accessed from the "View Workspace" button under Preferences).
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

newton1212

i hope they have concentrated on fixing bugs

xmagicx60

Okay, let's add one more feature request to the list: the option to display the relevant logs on a compile error. As it stands, if a resource can't be transcoded for whatever reason (not in the specified location, an MP3 of the wrong sample rate, etc.), then from a user perspective, the compile silently fails - there's nothing to indicate what went wrong, and most newbies won't think to check the logs manually (which, on Windows 7 at least, are in a folder that's normally hidden and can only be accessed from the "View Workspace" button under Preferences).

Indeed, My main game failed silently, and I checked the wrong logs twice. In the end, I remade half the game before managing to fix the first problem.. a simple corrupted behavior that I didn't even use.

SWATLLAMA

I've noticed some users on the forums that run Linux have problems running Stencyl. While In ever had this problem when I use linux, that might be something to focus on.
Hail The Llama

darkknighth20

I'd love for a way to use the original behavior adder/remover for actors on scenes. The current version of it is great for actors without many behaviors, but it's a chore to scroll through if you have a lot of behaviors with many options.

Would be nice if you could pop out the old one in 3.0 8)
- DarkKnightH20
Need Help?
>> Stencyl Guides
Current Game In Progress >> A Hack N Slash

Stipipoy

Amazing! It just keeps on getting better, good job Stencyl Team.
Stephen
Send me an email.

Vectrex71

Just one word: " G R E A T ! " Thanks for your work !!

Xietao

I've noticed some users on the forums that run Linux have problems running Stencyl. While In ever had this problem when I use linux, that might be something to focus on.
Really, The graphcs are horrible, and I can't see the controls name without using mouse clickover and I caÇı't import game without using drag and drop
Free Time:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 13h
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday: 7h
Loving Linux...

hansbe

Really, The graphcs are horrible, and I can't see the controls name without using mouse clickover and I caÇı't import game without using drag and drop

This probably relates to which window manager you are using, or if it's up to date. There are so many WMs, ... and linux is so endlessly customizable too ... What I would suggest is that someone wrote a community article of how to get it to work with compiz, metacity, gnome, kde, etc.