Leave School?

Blob

What do you mean, a source? Life is longer than being in school. If you go to school for 18 years, and live 75, you have lived for 75 years and gone to school for 18.
75 divided by 18 is 4, and 18 years is a lot longer than 4 years. The numbers are against you man.

Manuel

This isn't a "corporate game companies are evil" thing.
The "piece of the corporate machine and you're going to like it" part made it sound like that to me, as if game companies were by default something bad, but if it wasn't intentional then ok.
If you want to be a part of the machine you can be, but don't even try to say being independent is the wrong way to go.
I didn't said anything like it (and never will, as it would be hypocritical to do it so), like I stated in my other post I support "both". There's no wrong way to go on these two, just different ways, which was the point of my post.
Game developers are the deities of the virtual realm.
Game Development Blog
Personal Tumblr
Personal Twitter

irock

I didn't said anything like it (and never will, as it would be hypocritical to do it so), like I stated in my other post I support "both". There's no wrong way to go on these two, just different ways, which was the point of my post.
I was talking about what Medevenx said, which is what I originally replied to.

SWATLLAMA

What do you mean, a source? Life is longer than being in school. If you go to school for 18 years, and live 75, you have lived for 75 years and gone to school for 18.
75 divided by 18 is 4, and 18 years is a lot longer than 4 years. The numbers are against you man.

o_O Why are you dividing? You live 75 years, and 18 were in school. No division necessary.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

Manuel

I was talking about what Medevenx said, which is what I originally replied to.
Oh, my bad then.
Game developers are the deities of the virtual realm.
Game Development Blog
Personal Tumblr
Personal Twitter

Blob

o_O Why are you dividing? You live 75 years, and 18 were in school. No division necessary.
Considering that the average person spends more than 4 hours in a school day, I was being generous. I actually looked it up and the school time average is around 7 hours, so that's a 7-to-1 ratio, school being 7 times longer.

Also I don't want to get religious on anyone, but I think it's to be expected that there will be even more schooling in the afterlife, increasing the ratio.

SWATLLAMA

Blob... I'm talking about years. If you live for 75 years, your LIFE is 75 years long. If you go to school for 18 years, 7 hours a day for 9 months, you still went to school for 18 years. You seem to be completely misunderstanding what I typed.
Hail The Llama

Blob

Blob... I'm talking about years. If you live for 75 years, your LIFE is 75 years long. If you go to school for 18 years, 7 hours a day for 9 months, you still went to school for 18 years. You seem to be completely misunderstanding what I typed.
Okay, now take the 7 that we've established, then multiply it for each of the 9 months. 72 right? Then multiply the 72 total hours by each year (18). What you end up with is a 1567-1 ratio, greatly exceeding one's lifespan. There's no comparison, school is a huge time suck.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 06:46:00 pm by Blob »

SWATLLAMA

o_O. No.

I'll try to explain it again, even though it should be clear right now.
You have a lifespan of 75 years.
You have a schoolspan of 18 years.
Your life is 75. Your schooling is 18. 75>18. Your life is a 24 hour thing. School is a 7 hour thing, though of course there's studying and you constantly think about it, whether consciously or subconsciously.
Hail The Llama

Medevenx

@Blob, since when was 7 x 9 = 72 ?

lol anyway if you live 75 and study 18 you basically have like 57 years of NOT studying

Blob

It's no wonder you people advocate for increased schooling, you both certainly need it.

NobodyX

A quick note about my own experience about decided to go the route of making my own work and avoiding more schooling:
I'm failing miserably at making money and am running into a million issues and problems that come with my decision; my life is very lame in a lot of ways, but I've never once remotely felt any regret for not going to more school than I had.

Medevenx

It's no wonder you people advocate for increased schooling, you both certainly need it.

why did you have to get so personal? says the guy who got 72 from 9 x 7

bsidegames

Don't be a fool stay in school...
I pity the fool that drops out school...

Medevenx

Okay, now take the 7 that we've established, then multiply it for each of the 9 months. 72 right? Then multiply the 72 total hours by each year (18). What you end up with is a 1567-1 ratio, greatly exceeding one's lifespan. There's no comparison, school is a huge time suck.

(7 hours/day) x (5 days/week) x (4 weeks/month) x (9 months/year) x 18 years = 22680 hours
you live life (24 hours/day) x (7 days/week) x (4 weeks/month) x (12 months/year) x 75 years = 604800 hours

if you want to be specific, 604800 - 22680 = 582120 hours of NOT studying

582120:22680 is a 25.67:1 ratio where you NOT study 25.67 hours for each hour you study