SkullFace demo

GregAnims

please take a second to play this movement test from my new game:

<a href="http://greg-anims.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/movement-test.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://greg-anims.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/movement-test.swf</a>

And let me know how the controls feel for you. I want to get them just right, thanks!

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 03:02:41 pm by Greg-Anims »

rob1221

The controls seem just fine to me.

Hectate

Soopersmooth and slick. Animations look great too.

I did notice that the player seemed to hang off the bottom edge when wallsliding a bit longer than what it looks like he should.

Also, rolling. It adds speed to the player - which works when standing still to move him a little bit - but when running at full speed it increases the speed beyond that level as well. I was able to make some fairly long jumps by constantly slapping the roll button as soon as touching down to boost myself. Intentional?
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

GregAnims

I did notice that the player seemed to hang off the bottom edge when wallsliding a bit longer than what it looks like he should.

Didn't notice that, thanks! Will fix.

Also, rolling. It adds speed to the player - which works when standing still to move him a little bit - but when running at full speed it increases the speed beyond that level as well. I was able to make some fairly long jumps by constantly slapping the roll button as soon as touching down to boost myself. Intentional?

Intentional. Timing rolls is what will separate the men from the boys in the highscore boards.

hansbe

The animations are really smooth and nice. Really good job with a lot of things here!

The suggestions I can think of are:
 - Some people like WASD (lefties).
 - I personally prefer up arrow to jump (unless you have other plans for it).
 - The roll could perhaps be initiated while falling as well.
 - The roll when you are standing still is a bit strange. There should be some forward movement in the roll, in line with the otherwise very fluid animations. A roll when standing still could perhaps also be interpreted as duck, saving a control key.
 - (personal prefences here : ) The wall-jump I've seen implemented by many. There are two things I don't like about it: 1) that you can jump 45 degrees out from a wall and return in air to a point higher on the wall, effectively it makes a somewhat silly wall climbing technique 2) That you when you are at the top of a wall can have trouble getting all the way up because the jump angles 45 degrees out and you hit a block with your head. To me it's like the character has some superhero jumping feats, but is otherwise very constrained in weird ways ...

Anyway, it's really good and smooth. Hope to play the game soon! :)

airman4

Nice job

The only weirdness is the rolling for me

sometimes it's slow , sometimes it's fast like hell
I dont really control it (dont know how)

Savager

The movement feels good and is very smooth :D.

osiaslemuel

The movement is nice and smooth  :) .

kerl

Animation is great! As for the controls i would prefer that he didn't separate from the walls so much when jumping along them. You might be interested in trying the impressive controls of a recent metroidvania platformer called "you have to win the game" at
http://www.piratehearts.com/blog/games/you-have-to-win-the-game/

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:17:26 am by kerl »

oroqi

The movement is nice and smooth  :)
i would prefer that he didn't separate from the walls so much when jumping along them, if it can be moderated like the normal jump ,when u hold the botton or just press it, hi can jump more away or  less from the wall. and i would prefer climb when reach the top block (http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/prince-of-persia-first-video-shoot.jpg) ,because i hate re-jumping or worse hit a block with your head.

GregAnims

Thanks a lot for all the feedback everyone!