Mapping out Booleans (Pre-game Preparation)[RESOLVED]

acarnivorousocean

Hi guys!  The forum here has been very helpful so far, and my prototype is finally running nicely.  The engine that my adventure runs on is in place, and I'm very happy.  I do have a question unrelated to coding, though.

How do my fellow Stencylers map out Booleans?  In a small project, a developer could get away with keeping that information in their head.
However, in a larger game, I want to find the most reliable method to trace the road map of my game before I really jump into coding it.

I considered using a spreadsheet layout.  I'd have a row for Characters, and a column for Booleans.  I could go through and write out how each character would react if a certain Boolean is true or false.  I foresee that method getting a little messy though.

Any better ideas that you guys have found?

Thanks for reading....here's a screenshot of my WIP.  I'm super excited about the custom art/animation and the story.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:49:03 pm by acarnivorousocean »

Hectate

I've not done something to a level that required mapping out the progression like that, but it sounds like a flowchart would be your best choice. That'd give you the visual aspect for ease of use while still allowing you to branch multiple times per character.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

acarnivorousocean

That's true.  I won't have a huge, epic adventure (although I'd love to make one!), but I feel like this is a good habit to get into.  Each character will have multiple interactions though, so thank you for the idea.

Good luck on your projects!