Any OTHER music making programs I can use?/art tips?

supergarfield

Hi I do know how to make BASIC midi music with sunvox but I was wondering if theres any other more capable programs I can use.
RULES:
1.Must be free
2.Must be good
Any help would be nice. thx in advance
Also does anyone have some tips for art for better game quality? thx.
Hi im new!

irock

What operating system?
What note input method do you prefer? (piano roll, sheet music, tracker?)

Tips for art: practice

miketv

I'm using Audacity....it's free & seems to be a pretty great program so far. There are people making their own plugins for it, etc.

BlazingRiver

Well i know you said free but i would have a look at garageband iOS. Its paid but its not much. I have a look at some videos before you get it to see if you will like it. For better graphics get a tablet. And i assume you are drawing it on paper, scanning it and going over it with lines colour and shades (if you don't have a tablet).

irock

I'm using Audacity....it's free & seems to be a pretty great program so far. There are people making their own plugins for it, etc.
You can not compose music in Audacity. I don't know how people say they use it and then recommend it for music composition.

miketv

You can not compose music in Audacity. I don't know how people say they use it and then recommend it for music composition.
In my (admittedly limited) experience, saying you can't compose on Audacity is like saying you can't make a movie using Windows Movie Maker. The basic tools are there...it's a matter of what you can do with them.
I guess it's a matter of style...I've been able to produce tones & arrange them into order. The results aren't exactly a John Williams symphony, but it fits my definition of music.
If you want something free & easy & you have basic editing skills, I recommend it.

irock

Windows Movie Maker is a shitty video editing program, but it's easy to use and has the fundamental tools you'd need.

Audacity, on the other hand, isn't intended to be used as music composition software. You can generate basic waveforms of certain frequencies, but you have no idea what notes are actually there, or even what type of waveform it is unless you zoom in a lot. That's not easy.

Saying you can't compose music in Audacity is like saying you can't cut cheese with a ladder. It's physically possible, but there are much better ways of doing it.

If you want something free and easy and want to have the capability of using instruments more complex than a sine wave, use PXTone. It's intended for music composition. You can even tell what the notes are because it uses a piano roll!