Inconsistent in xcode

8fifty2

Hi there guys.

Having trouble with testing on device through xcode. Everything works completely fine when testing in flash, perfect love it. However when testing on iphone the collisions and corresponding events are so inconsistent, only half of the events will work, all or not at all. This isn't the same for every type of collision only with particular actors.

I cant see a reason for this in the coding of things and also the facts that everyting works 100% in flash testing.

Is this xcode? does it not work perfectly everytime you test, maybe im trying to do too much up a collision event (often 3 or 4 reactions). Why is it so inconsistent?

Play

Hmm, could you be more specific about what the collision events are like? Are they collision events between actor types or actor groups? I'm not sure if this has to do with your issue, but I've noticed there is a problem with the way iOS collisions between collision groups are registered. For example, I think the "group for [actor #] colliding shape" block is glitched so that it actually reads the group of the actor itself and not the specific shape. Also, the "[actor 1] [hit] [an actor]" block just straight up doesn't work for me; I have to copy an paste a block from an older version of stencyl -- the "this actor [hit] [an actor]" block -- to make such assessments.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 01:14:11 pm by Play »

8fifty2

Not tried using an older version to be fair it could work. I will try and set up the events in a few ways using different if collision with group/type/actor and see if any work more consistently tomorrow. I believe it's currently set up as if pig (actor) collides with chainsaw (actor) spawn blood animation, spawn new actor, change scene, play sound. I wasn't sure if I was pushing stencyl too hard. So for you Xcode is usually consistent with events. Thanks

Play

In the case you're talking about, there are a couple things I could imagine that could mess it up. Have you made sure that the actor collision groups for both saw and pig are set to collide with one another?  Have you checked the collision bounds of the actors themselves to make sure they are set to appropriate collision groups?

Also, If you are using the collision behavior for specific actors, rather than actor of type or member of group etc, then you might be overlooking the step of assigning the specific pig and saw actors to the respective attributes used by that behavior. You may be assigning the pig attribute to a specific pig actor, so that when a new one spawns the behavior wont work anymore.

Without a doubt the kind of straightforward collisions you're talking about will work consistently for your iOS game as I use them all the time.

8fifty2

I expanded on your advice and I've layred several different types of events all doing the same thing. Such as on the chainsaw an event - type, group. -type, type. The same on the pig, that way during testing. I think you're right that some of the collision events don't work as well as others, the actor - group event seems to be much more consistant then the others. So this seems to have solved the problem for now. Thanks