Why does Stencyl randomly not work right?

dleberfinger

As the topic says.. Why do some features of Stencyl just randomly not work?

First example - I posted a topic yesterday asking for help with a global variable. After not touching the game at all, it mysteriously fixed itself.

Second example - I added a new collision group, nothing else. All collision in the game ceased to work, even after deleting the new collision group. I had to revert to a back up of that game from a few days ago to get collision back.

Third example - Five minutes ago I was working with a local variable, this time called "Health". Health was set in the behavior when it was attached to an actor, however regardless of what Health is set to, it never actually changes from 0. 

These are just three examples of my problems in the last few days. I and my friends, have had countless random errors like this with Stencyl, and there is never a method to actually fixing these other than reverting to a backup. Sometimes they randomly fix themselves, however usually not.

These problems are not just mine, as I said, two of my friends are using Stencyl for projects in their major and they constantly encounter randomly problems like this with no apparent reason or solution.

My questions..

Why does Stencyl have these random problems?

Does anyone else have these sorts of troubles?

Is there any way to keep this from happening?

sparttenomega

I suggest refreshing more often (ctrl+r) . I found that sometimes stencyl doesn't update changes you have made and refreshing usually fixes that.Other then that i have no idea what may help.

coleislazy

I haven't encountered any bugs that forced me to revert to a backup, but I have noticed that sometimes you need to close and open your game for some changes to take effect when you build. This is very annoying, but difficult for the team to track down. If you notice a certain change that you can make to reliably reproduce this problem, please let us know!

I will say that I have rarely, if ever, encountered this problem in 3.0.

dleberfinger

I refresh my games very frequently as well as just completely restart my computer in an attempt to fix some of these problems. It rarely works to fix anything.

I haven't encountered any bugs that forced me to revert to a backup, but I have noticed that sometimes you need to close and open your game for some changes to take effect when you build. This is very annoying, but difficult for the team to track down. If you notice a certain change that you can make to reliably reproduce this problem, please let us know!

I'm on version 2.2. Is 3.0 the pay to use version or am I outdated?

Luyren

In 3.0, when I do find this issue, I just have to save for Stencyl to recognize the changes I made to my game. And as others said, in 2.X I just close/reopened my game whenever this happened.

And to the above poster, paid users have early access to beta builds.
My Stencyl resources are available here: https://luyren.itch.io/
Cutscenes, RPG Elements, Particles, Map System and many more.