Is there a big trick for creating cutscenes?

tabletop

Anyone know a simple way or have a behavior or extension to create cutscenes for a sidescroller in Stencyl? I know its not hard to make them, but it feels more time consuming than necessary, any time efficient method/catalyst like a resource pack for an event/order thing or something?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 06:00:20 pm by tabletop »

Greg

I think we'd need to know a bit more, as far as what type of cutscene you're looking to make and what you want to do in it.

tabletop

I know dialogue is its own extension/topic of its own, so ill leave out that, but im talking about like an easy way to set up the order in which things occur. Like for example, something like, Id want a character to walk into a room passed another character a certain distance, then turn around and look at the character next to him, then maybe change animation for both actors (To a handshake or something I dont know?), then maybe right after that, play a sound effect (doorbell ringing), then maybe have another character walk in, and stop.

That is just a vague example of a scene that would benefit from some kind of sequencing system or cut-scene editor.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 07:12:27 pm by tabletop »

HNF

You could nest everything in Do After x Seconds blocks.

tabletop

Thats what I Was thinking, but I really wish there was a sequencing method since that is a massive hassle.

Legendary Hoamaru

Separate everything into states, i.e Finite state machines (use a Number) and use if statements.  This is also good in general for AI.

Maybe create a snippet that translates text into actions, and pass a list to it to perform the actions in a sequence?

Greg

I just posted a possibility of a visual-type cutscene maker here -
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,165.new.html#new

Not sure if this would help, but it's open for discussion.

AvistTorch

Separate everything into states, i.e Finite state machines (use a Number) and use if statements.  This is also good in general for AI.
Do you mean set a value after one action is complete, then have the next action occur if value=set?
Current Projects:
Battle Lines Zero: The Sargonian Wars (Status: Engine-building)(Genre: Tactical RPG or Turn Based Tactics)
Project "PARTS" (Status: Early spriting/engine-building)(Genre: Real-time strategy)

Legendary Hoamaru

Do you mean set a value after one action is complete, then have the next action occur if value=set?

Yep.

Greg seems to be on to a good idea though!

Alexin

The actors Greg uses are simply the symbols of the grammar fed into the FSM.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com