Poll

Do you actually do everything for urself, or grab everything from the program library?

I do everything for myself, haven't u seen how awesome my games r?!?
I get everything I do from the Stencyl behavior library and StencylForge.
I don't even program at all, Stencyl is just a nice lace to play decent games.
I do everything myself, but IDK how to do anything decent.
Occasionally I use stuff from the Stencyl Behavior, but I mostly program myself.
Why r u even asking this; I MADE the stuff in the Behavior Library!!!
I'm awesome, I use Code Mode!

How do YOU program?

rojasstencylman

The reason for this random poll will all come clear soon
Only the determined can even try to make a game!
If u get an answer to ur question, edit topic title to [Solved] by "modifying" ur first post on the topic
Also, if you want ur link to say something else like this one, which leads to the Stencyl Arcade, you do this:
[ url=http://www.stencyl.com/play ]hello[/ url ]

rojasstencylman

if u vote please say what u voted for
If u get an answer to ur question, edit topic title to [Solved] by "modifying" ur first post on the topic
Also, if you want ur link to say something else like this one, which leads to the Stencyl Arcade, you do this:

Hectate

Since you asked, I nearly always create my own behaviors, it's pretty rare for me to use something pre-made (even as great as they are, I'm usually doing something odd and experimental anyway).
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

rojasstencylman

How do u create a wall sliding behavior from scratch

Hectate

How do u create a wall sliding behavior from scratch
Since you've already got a thread specific to that request, just check there for my response.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

gruffman

I wouldnt be averse to seeing how other people codes things, but ultimately i like to make my own code. It's the only way I truly learn and it gives you a level of confidence that encourages you going forwards.
Now available for all Android Devices - Happy Face Concentration
My Games To Date
Find A Face / Hero Of Oda / Snakes And Ladders
Hungry Monkey available at fgl.com for Sponsorship
My site - Gruffgames.com

Hectate

Gruffman, plus I like to be able to troubleshoot my own code. It's always harder looking at something that someone else has done and trying to figure out what went wrong.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

chrizt

totally correct hectate..  :) same goes for me.. anyway if you know the answer to my thread please answer it.. i have wait for days and set up 2 threads about testing ios locally but still no progress.
need help with behavior? game design? graphic design? just contact me
email : christianatin27@gmail.com

Hectate

totally correct hectate..  :) same goes for me.. anyway if you know the answer to my thread please answer it.. i have wait for days and set up 2 threads about testing ios locally but still no progress.
Sorry, I continually check all new threads but I have to skip over iOS specific problems because I don't develop for them. Good luck!
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

Photon

I have had a thing for "build from the ground up". I have made two games in Python using the Pygame library, essentially doing all other coding outside of the library myself.

On the other hand, that's part of why I gave Stencyl a try. Perhaps needless to say, starting from complete nothing makes for a long road; my two Python games were nothing overly huge. The interface of Stencyl and how it handles a lot of physics calculations (or housekeeping, if you will) for you really helps. Like any software, you have to play by the rules it sets up, but that's all part of manipulating the software's framework to work for you.

For my first game in Stencyl, I wanted to start simple and build. I used a lot of pre-shipped platformer behaviors and then proceeded to go on from there with my own code. I even modified some of the pre-shipped behaviors to better suit my needs.

It's nice to start from scratch and handle all the details youself. I like that. But sometimes ask yourself, "Do I really need to reinvent the wheel yet again?". It all depends on how crazy and complex you're getting with your game, no?

So yeah, I do a lot of coding myself, but I am not against using other people's code.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

captaincomic

Ha, since the option was there, I chose "I MADE the stuff in the behavior library" :D
(but I was not the only one working on them)

I like to do stuff myself, but agree reinvent the wheel is not a good thing. If there is something tested and bug-free out there that does what you need, why waste time doing it again? Although this is is more important when you want to get something done and released. If you are just learning, doing everything from scratch is a good way.

The way I see the behavior library, it is good to get started and especially good to make quick prototypes. In the later stages of game development I guess you would always have to tweak the behaviors or make your own to make sure everything works the way you want.

Kitheif

'Occasionally I use stuff from the Stencyl Behavior, but I mostly program myself.'  ;)

Tuo

Ah, so CC, you're the other one. Only lately have I publicized more of my work in the Forge though (not quite the library, but it's the closest answer :P)
Don't look to me but rather to the One who is the reason for what I do. :)

If you need help, send me a PM. Even if I haven't been on in the forums in ages, I still receive those messages via email notifications. You can also reply to any of my forum posts, regardless of the age (especially if I created it), and I will likely reply.

If you want to see the programming behind certain types of games, feel free to check out my "Demo-" games on StencylForge (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16160.0.html)

xandramas

As a new stencyler I use current behaviors, learn what makes them do what they do, then make my own using the cut and paste technique of various parts of those other behaviors, then the behavior after that I generally make it on my own. Thats how its progressing at least.

Once I know how to do it i'll just do it myself. If there were easier to use premade behaviors I would probably use more of them. But as of now about 80% of my current game is original design.
Check my profile to test my games in development.
Asterite Saga: http://www.facebook.com/XGameLabs
Next Game in development.