Mac Vm

spoogob

Well, I recently completed my latest game and have decided to try and move this to mobiles/tablets. Specifically iphones/pads. But being a Pc user, and no access to any mac whatsoever, I was given advice to maybe try a VM on my Pc and run a mac os on it. (as this can be much easier to develop with on an actual mac with stencyl). Has anyone tried this? Or use this method regularly? If so, whats your experience of it?

Id really like to work on this and see whether i could move it to these, but this seems my only way. (well, apart from finding somone trusting to help and do it that way, but Id more prefer to work on it myself if I can).

Dom818

Before I gt my Mac, I used to run Mac OS X in a VM and it worked like a charm. As long as you have a decent computer, you should be able to run just about any version of Mac in the VM. They are also usually not very hard to get working, just search online for a tutorial and follow the steps.

spoogob

Ok thank for the advice - Ive been pondering this for the last week, but its getting hold of a copy (purchased or otherwise).. I believe i can get hold of a dvd copy of (i think) snow leopard , but more recent mac os's are download only (so only useable if you already have a mac).

Be good to get working on a mobile version of my game, just need to get this sorted :)

Dom818

That's probably the only downfall of this. Getting a copy of Mac so it is legal to install. As far as I know, you can still develop for iOS with Snow Leopard. Good luck getting your game ported to mobile. :)

spoogob

thanks :) Im wondering whether i can get snow leopard, install that with the VM, then I wonder how possible it is to update that VM install with the newer version? Either way, at least snow leopard is fine, and I can get an official copy cheaply. :)

Dom818

Updating within a VM is much more difficult than the original installation. I was never successful in updating a Mac VM. It is worth a shot though.

spoogob

Yeah, if i can get snow leopard going fine, and stencyl works ok, ill maybe see later on if its worth trying/doing. Im really doing all this as ios development is alot easier when done through a mac - i just dont have the funds currently to purchase an actual mac, so this is my alternative. :)

Alexin

I tried the VM route a year ago and despite the decent performance, the overall experience was poor. I eventually got a MBP.

It's a valid alternative but I don't recommend it for extended use.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

spoogob

Ah ok. its really for the sole reason of getting stencyl on there, and being able to work with ios a little easier really.

SWATLLAMA

If you're having trouble obtaining a copy of Snowleapord, you could try downloading it for free. If you're in the U.S., you can't go to jail for it on your first offense, nor even fined.

The performance of pirated copies of software will often times be much worse than a legal copy.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

irock

The performance of pirated copies of software will often times be much worse than a legal copy.

what

Max Finch

Also make sure you're running on a intel processor and motherboard. Or it's going to be tough getting it to successfully run on your computer. I have a AMD chip and it took me a few months and loss of hair getting that thing to run on my laptop.

spoogob

If you're having trouble obtaining a copy of Snowleapord, you could try downloading it for free. If you're in the U.S., you can't go to jail for it on your first offense, nor even fined.

Dont worry lol

I can quite easily pick up an original straight from apple, for next to nothing really. As I said, I I believed I could get a dvd copy but newer versions are download only straight from apple.

I dont really have much of an opinion on pirated software. If someone wants to download gigs worth of stuff, and be waiting eaons to do so, good luck to them. lol Id rather pick up an original.  8)

captaincomic

Here's a guide,
http://lifehacker.com/5583650/run-mac-os-x-in-virtualbox-on-windows
but it assumes that you already have an OSX86 ISO image. While you can download such an image illegally, you can also create yourself using a genuine copy of OSX.

I don't remember which tutorial I followed, but I I'm sure it involved tools from tonymacx86.com (I'm still seeing the nice apple whenever I boot in the VM :) )

Here's a tutorial for creating an USB stick (instead of an ISO) to install Mountain Lion
http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Btw. there two versions of VirtualBox. One is completely open-source, but doesn't have USB support, so you probably need the other one if you follow the guide above.

spoogob

Thanks CC. Ive now ordered the os on dvd from apple, so should get that the next day or two. Thank for the links! Shall report back how it all goes :D