Pinball Flipper question

TheBasedAbel

Hey ya'll I saw sometime back that someone had asked about utilizing pinball flippers in a level with no response and I'm in the same jam. I also haven't seen any tutorials of this kind on stencylpedia or youtube.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips they could share on making some successful pinball flippers work since the only example i could find isn't that great and kind of hard to understand, anyway I would appreciate any help a LOT!  :D

Meestar

Let me see if I can put something together for you!
PM me if you require help.  I'm always glad to help out!

TheBasedAbel

Thanks so much, glad to know someone is on the case :)

Meestar

Thanks so much, glad to know someone is on the case :)

Okay, well, look up Pinball on the forge.  It isn't great and wont "WOW" you, but it's something.  I'll have to try again when I'm not void of sleep.
PM me if you require help.  I'm always glad to help out!

TheBasedAbel

It seems to work and it's definitely a start!! I'll have to try this behavior out in my game and after testing and tweaking I will post any results I find for other people who want to make pinball :P

TheBasedAbel

I have a question about the flippers maybe someone else can jump in on if they know the answer.

I want to swing my actor like a Pinball Flipper, but if I use a rotate block, it will rotate the block like a Tetris Block, you guys know what I mean? I just don't know how to get that pinball motion.

Also, if anybody has experience; what is a good physics setting for balls (lol)  :P

Tuo

Here's the code from stream:
Don't look to me but rather to the One who is the reason for what I do. :)

If you need help, send me a PM. Even if I haven't been on in the forums in ages, I still receive those messages via email notifications. You can also reply to any of my forum posts, regardless of the age (especially if I created it), and I will likely reply.

If you want to see the programming behind certain types of games, feel free to check out my "Demo-" games on StencylForge (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16160.0.html)

gruffman

For pivoting look into the actors origin point

" Origin Point

Only used when you need to reference “origin” coordinates related to an Actor for specific operations. Two operations refer to the Origin Point’s coordinates, rotate and scale. A user can choose a number of options for the Origin Point from a dropdown menu in the Actor Type Appearance tab and create custom coordinates for an Origin Point. The Origin Point is relative to the default horizontal and vertical (x and y) coordinates of a given Actor Type’s Animation. Origin Point ONLY applies to Web games, not iOS games."
Now available for all Android Devices - Happy Face Concentration
My Games To Date
Find A Face / Hero Of Oda / Snakes And Ladders
Hungry Monkey available at fgl.com for Sponsorship
My site - Gruffgames.com

TheBasedAbel

How will origin point affect an iOS game? Will my animation be wrecked if I try to export to iOS?

TheBasedAbel

Here's the code from stream:

Hey Tuo one thing I noticed with this code is that if you hold Left/Right and the paddles are motionless they still send the ball flying, I've tried adjusting but am not sure how to get around this!

Tuo

Two changes:
1. I now used a slightly lower value as a cutoff for the "if" conditions (as the angle is not exact, so it won't have rounding issues).
2. The real change is that inside the "otherwise" condition for the keys being down, set the turning speed to 0. That's what is causing the extra flipping.

See attached:
Don't look to me but rather to the One who is the reason for what I do. :)

If you need help, send me a PM. Even if I haven't been on in the forums in ages, I still receive those messages via email notifications. You can also reply to any of my forum posts, regardless of the age (especially if I created it), and I will likely reply.

If you want to see the programming behind certain types of games, feel free to check out my "Demo-" games on StencylForge (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16160.0.html)

TheBasedAbel

Two changes:
1. I now used a slightly lower value as a cutoff for the "if" conditions (as the angle is not exact, so it won't have rounding issues).
2. The real change is that inside the "otherwise" condition for the keys being down, set the turning speed to 0. That's what is causing the extra flipping.

See attached:

Ah! Thanks so much I was trying to look for a way to nullify the turning speed while still being able to hit the ball as intended but hit a standstill. Still new to this stuff :P