My laptop just broke itself (posted from PS3)

DELETED_117713

It refuses to open any programs. Can't find or open files.

Next time im not buying a Crappy Laptop from Dell.

Im now going to smash it, i wasted all my money on a POS.

Photon

Don't you think it would be more advantageous to have someone look at it first before you release the mighty gavel of judgment?
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

DELETED_117713

Don't you think it would be more advantageous to have someone look at it first before you release the mighty gavel of judgment?
Why? Im going to save up money for a higher quality laptop.

SWATLLAMA

Back up all your data and reinstall your operating system. If you're on Windows, install a copy of Linux, then install Windows again. That makes sure all your old system files are gone. Or you might like Linux and stick with it.
Hail The Llama
http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/lSWATLLAMA
"Play the games" ~ The Grand Llama

It's my life goal to rickroll as many people as possible

Ryusui

Before you do anything stupid with your computer (and breaking a computer when you might be able to salvage it is STUPID!), let's see if we can't figure out what the hell's wrong.

What operating system are you running? I'm assuming you're running a Windows machine. Does Windows boot at all? You say it won't "open programs" or "find or open files"; what exactly is going on? Can you get to your desktop? Are you getting error messages? If so, what do the error messages say?
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

SWATLLAMA

Try booting into safe mode to see if it can access programs and files. If it can, try and use a system restore.
Hail The Llama

Ryusui

To be clear: you boot into Safe Mode by pressing F8 before the "Loading Windows" screen appears and selecting it from the menu.

BTW, do you run any kind of antivirus or antimalware on your computer? Because if Windows is booting but it's not working right, then you might have gotten hit with something annoying.

Vectrex71

Buy a MacBook Pro Retina ! And you will be happy :-) "I'm happy with it" :-) with MacOSX you never have troubles it just works and your work is save with the automatic backup utillitie (TimeMachine). But if you prefer windows, you can install Windows on it. so you have no problems with hardware, but windows is windows and keep windows, also on a Mac :-/

DELETED_117713

Windows can boot up.

I can't go to my computer folder.

Intense lag when I click the start bar.

Programs work, but web browsers don't.

No BSOD's.

Can't turn off.

No error messages.

Im trying system restore right now.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 06:40:38 am by fillergames »

DELETED_117713

Restored it. Nothing happened. It's still the same. Look's like im doomed.

Crossland88

The hard drive is probably done. It's quite common in laptops for the HDD to fail from being knocked around alot. Goes to show why you should always make backups. I have my dropbox account sync with my game workspace folder so it backups everything automatically.
Making questionable quality games since HyperCard

DELETED_117713

The hard drive is probably done. It's quite common in laptops for the HDD to fail from being knocked around alot. Goes to show why you should always make backups. I have my dropbox account sync with my game workspace folder so it backups everything automatically.

So is it repiarable? Im not good with laptops.

Ryusui

It can be repaired, yes. You can replace the hard drive. Though ideally you'll want to figure out some way of scanning the one you have for errors and then cloning it to the new drive, so you'll keep all your data and won't have to reinstall Windows.

DELETED_117713

Well I know a store that has laptops of a good price. It's much better then mine. I have the two choices.

1. Repair my broken laptop.

Or

2. Buy a higher quality laptop.

SWATLLAMA

Can you open up chkdsk or diskdefragmenter? To do this, go to the startmenu -> run -> chkdisk. To get to disk defrag, go to the start menu -> In the search bar, type disk defrag, and click Disk Defragmenter when it shows up in the list of possible programs for which you are searching.

Or, boot into safe-mode if that doesn't work, and back up all your data. If the hard drive does show up to have a lot of errors, you can easily replace it by going to Best Buy or Microcenter and buying a new hard drive. You could also have the people there replace it, but that will cost a lot of money.

If the hard drive is not the issue, you should probably take it to professionals. They'll be able to run more diagnostics and do a better job than you can probably do in your home.
Hail The Llama